Hourly Rate Bands N/A Salaried/Hourly-Paid Salaried |
To provide value adding design advice and management support for the efficient delivery of projects through our portfolio of national and strategic accounts strategy. To utilise construction knowledge and experience to develop innovative and cost effective design solutions in conjunction with project design teams, apply value engineering principles to ensure best value for all parties, and ensure an effective construction phase by applying an understanding of site management practices, risks, costs and co-ordination.
Working as part of a national team, primarily focussed in the Education sector to develop and share best practice in design and design management amongst individual teams nationwide in support our national and strategic accounts strategy.
- Develop strategic relationships with designers nationally in support of the national and strategic alliances strategy;
- Develop innovative design solutions to client's briefs with input from strategic design partners, project design teams and subcontractors utilising a standardised approach wherever possible;
- Develop strategic relationships with clients during early concept stages; manage expectations of the individual projects through regular communication and discussions regarding requirements and specifications;
- Support local teams in managing the relationships within individual project teams - with the client, subcontractors and professional team and help to resolve any queries;
- Identify and check contents for Contractors Proposals, qualifications list, design information and marketing documentation to accompany frameworks or individual project submissions;
- Adopt a proactive approach to value engineering and standardisation, by keeping up to date with latest construction techniques and legislation;
- Review designs on an ongoing basis, identify potential interface problems & practicalities in construction, and support their resolution with the project design management, design team and specialist subcontractors where appropriate;
- To oversee and support "design to cost" (D2C) across all projects within affordability envelopes determined at project commencement;
- Attend Contractor selection interviews, including preparation beforehand; Thoroughly appraise tender documentation when received to identify risk, opportunity, insufficient information, inadequate or incorrect design;
- Provide an overview to project subcontract enquiries to subcontractor designed packages;
Vet proposed appointment of project Design Teams. Ensuring terms and conditions of appointment/novation are acceptable, lead designer role is defined and all services we would normally expect are included;
- Assist in the management of project design teams throughout the project and attend design team meetings as appropriate;
- Assist with Bid Management/Tender from first enquiry through to award of contracts;
To develop, investigate, collate and share best practice in design and design management amongst individual teams nationwide;
- To record, benchmark and report performance at both project levels and nationally creating KPI performance data;
- To support and be familiar with own role and responsibility in respect of Business Continuity Planning. Ensuring that team members are also aware of the plans and communicates same.
Knowledge skills & experience
All above attributes are ESSENTIAL unless otherwise stated .
- Competent user of MS packages e.g. Outlook, Excel, Word;
- Experience of Asta Power Project, or similar (desirable);
- Experience of working on a wide range of construction sectors, particularly education;
- Experience of professional design practice, architectural or building services (desirable)
- Well-developed technical construction knowledge;
- Comprehensive understanding of building elemental costs;
- Knowledge of current Building Regulations;
- Knowledge of BREEAM and its management;
- Knowledge of BIM and its implementation;
- Knowledge of Modern Methods of Construction, Modularisation and off-site;
- Ability to communicate with a range of people at all levels, both verbally and in writing;
- Ability to plan, organise and project manage;
- Analytical problem solver;
- Client and customer focused in order to build productive relationships;
- Ability to make reasoned and informed judgements and decisions;
- Ability to work independently and also in a team environment;
- Adaptable and flexible;
- Effective leadership skills.
About the company
Interserve's vision is to redefine the future for people and places. We are one of the world's foremost support services and construction companies, operating in the public and private sectors in the UK and internationally. We offer advice, design, construction, equipment, facilities management and front-line public services. Interserve is based in the UK and is listed in the FTSE 250 index. We have gross revenue of £3.3 billion and a workforce of 80,000 people worldwide.
We are an Investors in Diversity accredited Company & committed to equal opportunities for all.
We are looking for an experienced Design & Technical Manager to work from our Birmingham location with National travel. This role is offered on a Permanent, full time basis. In return we are offering a competitive salary, plus company car/allowance, flexible benefits, 24 days annual leave entitlement, share plans, company pension and private medical insurance.
WINNER OF CONSTRUCTION NEWS' CONTRACTOR OF THE YEAR 2014