Vacancy has expired
|Job Ref:||128587BR||Employer:||AECOM||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Midlothian||City:||Edinburgh||Address:|| |
Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK (Show on map)
|Post Code:||EH3||Post Date:||28/09/2016 22:34|
Why Choose AECOM?
AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees - including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals - serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine's annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World's Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients' projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at NA.
About the Business Line
We provide professional services in areas such as aviation, transit, freight rail, highways and bridges, planning, and ports and marine. Our global network of top-tier specialists delivers comprehensive services over the full life cycle of a project to benefit clients in government and private industries.
We are looking to recruit a Principal Transport Planning Consultant to our Transport Planning Business in Scotland. This post will form a key role in shaping and delivering the growth of the transportation team, with a focus on strategic modelling and appraisal. The post would be based in either our Edinburgh or Glasgow offices, with a remit to work across the whole of Scotland and further afield as required. This exciting opportunity will provide the right individual with a platform to further develop their career alongside the growth of our business in the region and contribute to the wider AECOM Transportation offer.
The ideal candidate will come from an analytical background, such as mathematics, economics, physics or engineering, will have experience in transport planning, and possess the key responsibilities listed below. We value a combination of analytical and communication skills, with a creative and enthusiastic approach to problem solving. We are seeking an individual with an in-depth appreciation of strategic transportation modelling and appraisal, with good knowledge of wider transport planning issues, and a proven ability to lead small teams. This is an exciting opportunity to join an accomplished team and work on a range of ground breaking and innovative projects for a wide variety of clients.
AECOM is a global leader in providing fully integrated professional technical and management support services for a broad range of markets including transportation, architecture, building engineering, construction services, energy, environment, programme cost consultancy and water.
Our Transport Planning teams plan and evaluate future transport schemes, forecast demand and revenue, develop business cases, undertake economic appraisal, as well as look at the relationships between spatial planning and transport.
Current and recent projects undertaken by our Scottish transport modelling team include:
• A9 Dualling between Perth and Inverness: Outline Business Case development and Lead Traffic and Economic Advisor;
• LATIS (Transport Scotland) Transport Model Auditors;
• A96 Dualling between Aberdeen and Inverness: Transport Modelling and Outline Business Case development;
• Primary Research into Driver Frustration;
• Bus rapid transit advisory support;
• Glasgow and Clyde Valley City Deal Business Case Development;
• Moray Firth Transport Model Inter Peak model development;
• Jazan Economic City - masterplanning and scheme development.
Whilst the above summarises our local projects there are significant opportunities for the right candidate to contribute to our wider UK & Ireland portfolio of projects including our recent appointment three of the five Highways England regional models, and our national transport modelling for the NRA in Ireland. It may occasionally be necessary to work in other UK offices when required. In addition, with client coverage that extends across Europe and around the world there are opportunities to work overseas.
The appropriate level of technical expertise is required in order that the Job / Project Accountabilities listed below can be carried out to the necessary standards:
• Manage and technically direct transport modelling, forecasting, and appraisal of highway and public transport demand and supply studies.
• Act as Project Manager as necessary, with a responsibility for delivering projects within timescale, budget constraints and quality expectations.
• Manage the workload and technical management of a team.
• Support in the development of staff and assist in training and mentoring with a particular focus on assisting staff gain professional accreditation.
• Identify and respond to opportunities, prepare fee proposal for submission to client, including resources and programme.
• Contribute to the wider transport planning business across Scotland, UK and the wider Europe/Middle East/Africa area.
• Experience in strategic transport modelling and forecasting of travel demand and supply;
• Experience in quantified and monetised elements of transport appraisal;
• Experience in using one or more relevant strategic transport planning software packages and programming/scripting languages e.g. SATURN, CUBE, VISUM, Python, VB etc;
• Knowledge and experience in data analysis using one or more data analysis packages e.g. Excel, Access, SPSS, R etc. (knowledge of VBA would be advantageous);
• Experience in appraisal and evaluation of transport proposals to current Transport Scotland or DfT standards;
• Good knowledge and familiarity with key guidance documents, such as WebTAG and STAG;
• Self-motivation and capability to undertake specific tasks with minimum supervision;
• Ability to manage own time to meet project deadlines;
• Strong presentation skills;
• Good technical writing capability, and the ability to produce quality client reports;
• Capability to set out specific tasks and supervise others in the completion of these tasks;
• The ability to communicate technical and management aspects of work to senior staff;
• The ability to manage larger tasks or small/medium sized projects, including client contact and liaison;
• Good appreciation of project risk issues and application of these to day-to-day tasks; and
• Knowledge of project budgetary issues and the capability to deliver work to time and budget.
• Membership or working towards membership of a chartered professional institution.
• A master's degree or PhD in Transport Planning or related subject/social based discipline.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.