Senior Software Engineer – Ground Transportations Systems |
Manchester - Cheadle
Our software team in Manchester is growing, and as part of it you’ll develop your abilities in a supportive environment that will stretch your programming, testing and design expertise. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will have the opportunity to develop quality software across a range of projects, operating systems and development environments, as well as providing support, leadership and guidance to the wider team.
Thales’ technology drives systems that are used in your daily life; you most likely look at train times via National Rail Enquiries, and check the traffic conditions by visiting Traffic England, both developed by Thales’ software team. When you commute to the office using Manchester Tram, where we have been a key contributor to the design, build, installation, verification and validation of what is the UK's largest light rail project!
- Designing, coding, testing, configuring and supporting fully integrated software solutions that meet client needs and our own high standards
- Working closely with Software Engineers and Architects to input into the review of functional design specifications, high-level system architecture and interface designs
- Contributing to scrum teams, attending project reviews and ensuring we work to established software engineering processes and methodologies
- Applying your technical experience, blended with your passion for current & new technologies to deliver business value
- Offering your opinion on our skills, technology and working practices, helping to build a best-in-class software development function in partnership with responsive management
- Managing a varied and challenging workload across multiple databases, tools and methodologies
- Supporting, encouraging and sharing knowledge with team members.
Skills, qualifications and experience
- A relevant degree (or equivalent) and a background developing multiple software solutions in an Agile environment
- An exceptional understanding of server side Java, supported by SOLID design principles
- Previous experience in a senior role within a team.
- Genuine and demonstrable creativity tempered by strong organisational skills and a proven ability to deliver under pressure
- A deep understanding of configuration management, change control and continuous integration tools such as Jenkins and a passion for producing clean code
- A proven track record of delivering successful software solutions as part of a high performing team.
Technology & Tools you will be fluent with using:
- Java, Spring, Hibernate, Apache Webserver, Tomcat/JBoss, Git, Jenkins, XML, SQL Databases
Technology & Tools used across the wider team:
- Angular JS, C# .Net, Python, Android, Objective-C, No SQL databases, Puppet
How to apply
To be considered for this role, please click on the apply button.