|Job Ref:||R0008741||Employer:||Thales Group||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||London||City:||London||Address:||Post Code:||WC1A||Post Date:||23/10/2016 22:01|
Project Controls Tools Specialist |
London, Canary Wharf
Transport networks around the world rely on technology and systems expertise from Thales for safety, reliability and optimised capacity. Our main markets in the UK are urban rail, mainline rail and roads, where our solutions include signalling (train control, axle counters, interlocking, train protection and warning systems, services), supervision and control, integrated communications, security and information management.
Following THALES’ successful partnership with London Underground (LUL), modernising London’s Underground signalling infrastructure on the Jubilee and Northern Lines (JNUP), we have secured the £800million Four Lines Modernisation Programme (4LM).
4LM’s Project Controls team are recruiting for an ambitious Project Controls Tools Specialist. This is an opportunity for an individual with outstanding systems and, ideally, project controls tools experience to contribute to the management of project costs; measuring earned value and analysing budgets, actuals and forecasts, using our primary EVM tool, Deltek Cobra.
The successful Project Controls Tools Specialist will work on our 4LM project with scope to progress to Toolset Specialist across the wider Ground Transportation Systems business. This is an opportunity to develop your Project Controls tools & process skills (eg Deltek Cobra, SAP, P6 and EVM), through recognised industry and on-the-job training.
You will be joining a high-achieving project team within a diverse business, offering career development possibilities within transport, defence, IT, technology and more. It is a full time, permanent position based at our client site in Westferry, Canary Wharf.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Analysis of project costs, budgets, actuals and forecasts and measuring earned value, using the Deltek Cobra toolset.
- Embedding and maintaining the budget baselines for both labour and non-labour into the Cobra toolset.
- Importing data files each period from SAP & Primavera (P6) tools into the COBRA toolset
- Analysing data files / information both within & outside of the COBRA toolset in order to ensure accuracy of content
- Work with members of the Project Management Office (PMO) and Control Account Managers (CAMs) to determine appropriate measures of performance to quantify achievement.
- Prepare COBRA EVM reports each period for use in management reviews (including S-Curves, Schedule & Cost Variance Reports, ETC & EAC reports, etc..,), plus assist with analysis & interpretation of the data highlighting any areas needing attention /further explanation.
- Perform variance analysis, review/critique explanations for cost and schedule variance providing constructive feedback
- Preparation of materials and support to the Audit process, including information in support of the project Integrated Baseline Review (IBR)
- Once competent with Deltek Cobra toolset, providing training workshops to other members of the Project Controls team.
- Collect and monitor the use of ‘lessons learned’ as part of a continuous improvement culture
Skills & Attributes
- A competent user of business tools/systems for technical analysis such as Oracle Primavera, SAP and Project Management software tools
- An understanding of SQL and associated database tools such as Microsoft Excel and Access
- A combination of Business Analyst / Architect skills, coupled with operational experience in using the deployed tools on a daily basis within an operational /project environment
- Experience in integrating planning tools / systems with project management tools i.e. Oracle Primavera
- Experience in aligning planning tools / systems with financial systems i.e. SAP
- Experience generating and interpreting EVM performance data and its use in supporting project decision making and forecasting (previous experience is desirable although not essential as training will be provided)
- Able to interpret the requirements of projects for a project control service and to effectively apply the correct processes and tools to ensure the effective delivery of the service
- Able to provide accurate and up to date project control information to decision-makers in the Project Management Team,
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office Suite tools (Word, Excel, SharePoint)
- Strong stakeholder management capabilities to work across the boundaries with the Bid & Project Management job family and across other functions,
- A positive attitude combined with excellent interpersonal and motivational skills.
- An ability to embrace and encourage change
- Competent in delivering training classes
- Experience in integrating Deltek Cobra with project management tools i.e. Oracle Primavera
- Experience in aligning Deltek Cobra with financial systems i.e. SAP
- Proven experience with operating/implementing Project Controls tools & processes
- Experience providing an effective project control service in a complex multiple project delivery environment
- Knowledge of ANSI/EIA 748C EVMS Guidelines
- Experience in delivering EVMS-related training