Additional Role Information
1. JOB IDENTIFICATION
Job Title: Electrical Technician (multi skilled)
Location: Langlands, Glasgow
2. JOB PURPOSE
To carry out planned and reactive electrical and mechanical maintenance to services on the site and provide a high level of technical expertise in one or more specialist building services engineering systems. To undertake minor improvement and minor capital works as directed by Estates management. The maintenance technician (electrical) will be responsible for the maintenance of engineering services plant and equipment associated with the Hospital estate. The individual will support the Maintenance Supervisors and Engineering officers in the effective running of the Estates and Maintenance Service within Langlands Unit and if required on other local contracts.
This is a brief description of core responsibilities and duties and is by no means exhaustive. Other responsibilities and duties of a comparable level will be delegated as required.
- Undertake planned preventative maintenance tasks in accordance with a computerised programme, recording actions and times taken.
- To carry out delegated tasks and duties, associated with the planned and reactive maintenance of the site, to liaise with specialist contractors and design consultants during project commissioning.
- To work as part of a multi skilled team providing an efficient estates service.
- To ensure that requests and breakdowns are dealt with effectively and efficiently.
- To support the estates supervisor and Estates Management team in specialist building services engineering systems.
- Deputise for supervisors as required.
- Undertake the full range of craftsmen duties as directed by the supervisor.
- Use sophisticated engineering instruments for the measure of voltage, current, force, pressure humidity and temperature.
- Interpret control system drawings/diagrams associated with engineering services plant and equipment and prepare own drawings.
- Interrogate the advanced building management system, altering temperature and humidity set points/control loops to maintain correct internal environmental conditions.
- Has specialist knowledge of open protocol BMS and associated IT systems, prepare control programmes, performs regular backup routine for system.
- Detailed knowledge of networked devices and associated networks.
- Monitor and analyse performance of BMS networks and associated alarm/control equipment, identify defective components, replace and commission devices, identify and source replacement parts minimising disruption to site operations.
- Team lead major maintenance programmes and prepare detailed reports for the client.
- Participation in Estates department on call service.
- Carry out air flow, pressure differential, temperature and humidity checks, associated with maintaining microbiological free environments in the relevant areas in accordance with current legislation and prepare reports on findings.
- Calibrate temperature and humidity devices.
- Perform annual validation of IPS/Ups systems as to meet the requirements of BS 7671.
- Comply with with the procedures as detailed in the Company’s Quality Assurance Manuals and Health and Safety Policies.
- Undertake training when required , specific to job role ie Competent Person Appointment, and Authorised Person Appointment.
4. ROLE OF DEPARTMENT
The Estates Department provides the hospital with comprehensive planned and reactive maintenance service to the electrical, mechanical and building fabric. It provides this service through the use of a dedicated directly employed workforce and specialist sub-contractors.
5. KEY RESULT AREAS
- Delegated work is carried out efficiently and in accordance with best practice and specified guidance.
- Work is carried out in accordance with relevant health and safety legislation and safe systems of work.
- Department tools and personal equipment in job holder’s care are maintained in good condition.
- All relevant records are maintained up to date and in accordance with departmental policies.
- The correct and careful use of all equipment used in the day to day duties of the job holder.
- Ensuring that the company’s Health and Safety and Environmental Policy is observed.
- Detailed awareness of how maintained equipment and specialised building services engineering systems impact on the patient experience.
- Monitor and record engineering plant data accurately and reporting any abnormal deviations.
- Contribute proactively and positively to maintain a suitable working environment .
6a. EQUIPMENT AND MACHINERY
Work with fine tools and equipment in difficult areas
Work with specialised diagnostic, monitoring, and calibration equipment.
Building Management systems and associated IT infrastructure.
The department operates and maintains a computerised facilities management software package which the job holder is required to provide the necessary input data from time to time.
Carillion Health, Safety and Environmental System
Building Management System and IT Infrastructure.
7. ASSIGNMENT AND REVIEW OF WORK
Day to day planned maintenance is determined by the PPM schedule and is delegated to staff. Unscheduled maintenance is originated by a “Client” request to the Help desk.
8. DECISIONS AND JUDGEMENTS
- Plant is operating within design parameters
- Deal with potentially hazardous conditions in an appropriate manner.
- Assessing duration of assigned task and reporting if time exceeded.
- “Don’t Walk By” reporting of unsafe working practices whether by Carillion staff, Trust employees or contractors.
- On occasions supervise Craft persons, Assistants, Trainees, apprentices or contractors.
9. MOST CHALLENGING/DIFFICULT PARTS OF THE JOB
- Understanding the importance of the Performance management system.
- Completing Tasks within the PMS rectification time to avoid penalties.
- Supporting the estates supervisors and management team
- Working to challenging completion times.
- Working potentially unsociable hours when required.
- Working around potentially vulnerable patients and or members of the public.
- Work patterns are often disrupted and judgement is required to determine work priorities
- Those called out via on call will be required to determine their own decisions, will experience lone working and will need to meet challenging deadlines.
- Critical support and fault finding on complex control systems, BMS system site specialist
10. COMMUNICATIONS AND RELATIONSHIPS
To carry a communication device to facilitate immediate response
Internal - Colleagues on shift, Trust staff re task requests, other FM staff, Estates Management
External - Sub contractors, suppliers, patients and members of the public
11. PHYSICAL, MENTAL, EMOTIONAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB
- Use of hand tools and maintenance equipment
- Assembling and disassembling engineering plant
- Detailed Knowledge of IT systems and networks
- Working in adverse weather conditions
- Working in hot and sometimes humid conditions
- Lifting heavy loads
- Mental arithmetic when calculating sizes and quantities
- Task sheet management
12. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO DO THE JOB
- Occasional humid and wet environment
- Hot and Cold conditions
Qualifications, Level of education and Qualifications
Experience, Knowledge and Skills relevant to the post
- Recognised CITB apprenticeship or a demonstrated equivalent
- City and Guilds Craft certificate relevant to trade or similar recognised trade certificate (minimum NVQ level 3)
- HNC in Electrical, Mechanical or electronic Engineering or equivalent.
- 17 th Edition IEE Regulations.
- Specific Experience on Tridium/ Honeywell/ Lonworks BMS system or open network protocol system
- Competent person qualified in a health related engineering subject.
- HV qualifications
- LV AP Qualifications
- Multidiscipline apprenticeship
Three years minimum relevant experience
Knowledge of at least two of the following
Health and Safety Legislation relevant to trade
- Refrigeration and HVAC
- Control and Instrumentation engineering
- Control of legionella.
- Chilled Water Plant & Equipment
- Steam Generators
- MPHW Systems and Controls
- Mechanical Ventilation Sytems inc Air handling units and controls.
- Medical and Industrial Gases.
- RO Plant LTHW Boiler Planting Systems
- Commercial catering and laundry equipment
- Advanced Building management systems
- Sterilising and disinfecting equipment
- Domestic hot water services
Extensive experience in a building services environment
- Knowledge of trades integrated with electrical work
- Experience of working on specialist hospital equipment
- Computer literate
- Current driving licence
- Use of a car
Additional expertise acquired through practice or training
- Customer Focused
- Ability to use own initiative
- Consistent approach to problem solving
- Ability to follow instructions safely and effectively
- Ability to react to emergency situations
- Adaptable and flexible approach
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Ability to maintain corporate image
- Flexibility to work shifts to meet the demands of the department
- Flexibility to work additional hours often without prior notice and when required
- Flexibility to participate in the emergency on call rota
- Full Driving license
- Use of Car