|Job Ref:||LIM-LE-16-18774||Employer:||General Dynamics US||Industry:||Manufacturing||Country:||United States||County/State:||Ohio||City:||Northwest||Address:||Post Date:||21/10/2016 05:14|
- Investigates and analyzes complex, major in-process and receiving inspection gauge, checking equipment and tooling aid requirements for designated phases of assembly operations.|
• Initiates master tool planning lists detailing gauge , checking equipment and tooling aid requirements.
• Develops design approach for gauges required to check parts, assemblies and operations in accordance with the plan.
• Originates tooling assignment sheets and principal locating point sheets requesting the design and build of gauges.
• As required, reviews designs for function, adherence to specifications and compatibility with the plan and recommends incorporation of changes and modifications to insure proper functioning.
• May originate gauge instruction sheets indicating the kind, quantity and description of applicable gauges, manner of use, part or assembly identification, carlines affected, illustration of checking operation and similar information.
• Determines the need for and specifies die model duplications, tooling aids, mylars, templates and the like required for the design and construction of gauges by analyzing operation description sheets, parts prints and similar information.
• Initiate facilities requests and consults with facilities engineering relative to providing services such as air, water, electricity and material handling and the need for rearrangements or other changes to accommodate new models.
• Advises and assists assembly plant and vendor personnel in the installation and tryout of gauges and tooling aids in the resolution of production problems related to gauges and tooling aids by investigating and analyzing problems, determining approaches to overcome problems and working with plant and vendor personnel in accomplishing the required changes or modifications.
• Reviews and analyzes plant deviation requests and determines appropriate disposition.
• Observes and participates in pilot plant operations to verify correctness of gauge instruction sheets for sequence, part and assembly number accuracy and the like and to check dimensional tolerances.
• As required, direct toolmakers in tune-in of targets, gauges and the like and determines time required to perform tune-in.
• Makes changes in gauge and tooling aid designs, specifications and applications, recommends changes in product de sign and takes other appropriate action based on problems encountered during pilot plant tryout, installation and try out in the plant, experience under production conditions, and practices in other companies to insure gauges and tooling aids are consistent with the plan and permit performance of assembly operations within quality and cost standards.
• Write manufacturing engineering bulletins, technical reports, and similar documents to advise plants of required information.
• Prepares letters and memos justifying recommendations for specific gauges, tooling aids and the like.
• Training personnel in proper inspection methods and techniques based on drawings, test programs or system specifications and interact with the work force to apply and clarify work instructions.
• Work would be performed in both manufacturing and office environments.
• Associates technical degree required (Bachelor's degree preferred).
• Degree in Electronics, Computer Systems/Programming, or Quality Engineering acceptable.
• Solid modeling experience including sectioning from a model, sorting layers and determining dimensions from a model.
• Prefer Creo PTC (formerly ProE) or similar 3D CAD software.
• Geometric Dimension & Tolerancing (GD&T) experience required.
• CMM programming experience desirable.
• Blue print reading / technical drawing reading ability required.
• Previous experience in model-based environments preferred.
• Prior experience in team-based organizations preferred.
• Prefer basic knowledge of hydraulic and /or electrical systems.
• Proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel) required.
• Familiarity with writing testing procedures or test work instructions is highly desired.
• Knowledge of statistical methods for process evaluation preferred.
• Knowledge and experience designing complex inspection gages desired.
• Previous experience working on military or civilian vehicles, particularly tracked vehicles, is a plus.
• Must be able to write inspection work instructions from technical documents and drawings.
• Must be a U.S. citizen.
• Occasional travel may be required (less than 5%)
• Must be able to climb in and out of military vehicles and meet vehicle entry requirements.
• Must be willing to work in a team-based environment.
• Occasional lifting, bending, climbing is required.
• Must be able to obtain a security clearance.
• Desired team experience includes a multi-disciplinary problem solving environment.
General Dynamics Land Systems (GDLS), headquartered in Sterling Heights, Michigan is a wholly-owned business unit of General Dynamics Corporation's (NYSE:GD) Combat Systems group and is a global leader in the design, development, production, support and enhancement of tracked and wheeled military vehicles. GDLS has a 70-year defense heritage of providing a full spectrum of high quality, technically superior, high value products and services to the United States and its Allies and demonstrates the leadership, financial resources, technology and strength of more than 7500 employees who are dedicated to making the Company the World's preferred supplier of land vehicles and weapons systems. This dedication assures every shareholder, customer and the nation that the name General Dynamics will always mean Strength on Your Side.
At the heart of Land Systems' military-vehicle platforms is the Abrams main battle tank and the family of Stryker and LAV wheeled combat vehicles. These key ground-force assets remain critical to the military's structure and offer continuing opportunities for modernization and enhancements that meet the Warfighter's evolving requirements while increasing troop safety and effectiveness.
General Dynamics Land Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer.