About WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff|
WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services consulting firms, provides services designed to transform the built environment and restore the natural one. The firm's expertise ranges from environmental remediation and urban planning, to engineering iconic buildings and designing sustainable transport networks, to developing the energy sources of the future and enabling new ways of extracting essential resources. Approximately 34,000 employees, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors, program and construction management professionals, as well as various environmental experts, work for this dynamic organization in more than 500 offices across 40 countries worldwide. NA
WSP|Parsons Brinckerhoff is looking for a Construction Inspector (Senior Inspector) to perform on-site inspection services on various projects for the Virginia Department of Transportation in the Hampton Roads, Virginia area. The construction inspector's authority is limited in that any changes to the project's contract documents must be reviewed and approved by the responsible charge engineer.
• Monitor the work of contractors to ensure quality control and contractor compliance for roadway, structure and bridge construction projects of varying complexity, under the direction of a Construction Manager or Senior Inspector
• Inspect and monitor assigned field work activities on a project to ensure conformance to plans, specifications, and other contract documents.
• Coordinate work and inspections with contractor's representative, Department personnel and other stakeholders as identified by the Department
• Check lines, grades, dimensions and elevations using standard surveying and field measuring equipment.
• Advise contractor of non-conforming work or other violations of the contract requirements. Work with the contractor to identify and implement appropriate corrective action.
• Ensure that highways, work zones and traffic control setups conform to contract requirements.
• Prepare and review daily inspector reports for preparation of entries into project diaries
• Properly document materials in the Materials Notebook as well as other test reports for materials
• Test and/or sample materials as required, coordinate with Materials Division, and send samples to the District, Central Office, or other testing laboratories as needed
• Assist in contractor's monthly evaluations
• Perform other duties as needed
• A minimum of seven (7) years of inspection experience which demonstrates a working knowledge of roadway, structure, and bridge construction methods, materials, standards, construction symbols and terminology
• A working knowledge of State and federal environmental, safety, and Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and regulations
• A strong working knowledge of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.
• A working knowledge of VDOT standards, specifications and manuals
• Proven skill in operating computer equipment, software programs and field inspection equipment. including Site Manager
• Proven ability to: read and interpret roadway, structure and bridge plans and specifications; apply mathematical formulas and engineering principles to determine minor adjustments to construction plans; maintain detailed records; perform required materials testing and communicate effectively with the agency and contractor personnel and the general public.
Local candidates are preferred. The a bility to work in the United States immediately is required.
• VDOT Soil & Aggregate Compaction
• VDOT Asphalt Field Level I & II
• VDOT Hydraulic Cement Concrete Field
• Virginia Erosion & Sediment Control Inspection
• Virginia Stormwater Management Inspector
• Intermediate Work Zone Traffic Control
EOE / Veteran/ Disability/ Gender (M-F) /Gender Identity/ Sexual Orientation