|Job Ref:||26691BR||Employer:||Black & Veatch||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United States||County/State:||North Carolina||City:||Cary||Address:||Post Date:||20/10/2016 01:02|
A Black & Veatch substation engineer works on diverse and challenging projects from greenfield installations to retrofits. Our substation engineers are given the responsibility for engineering design, material, equipment, and construction specification development for high voltage substation projects. The assignments are varied and will include engineering only, constructions support, and Engineer Procure & Construct (EPC) projects. |
This position offers the opportunity to learn about other engineering disciplines, develop additional areas of technical expertise of interest to you, and participate in professional organizations such as IEEE. You will receive the appropriate training and support to become the primary client interface on technical and engineering issues and to be the internal interface between engineering disciplines.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides guidance and direction on client/department design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and B&V policies.
• Assists in developing, maintaining and updating engineering standards.
• Provides technical guidance to others regarding projects and disciplines.
Quality / Continuous Improvement:
• Independently applies knowledge and complies with B&V quality program relative to assigned tasks.
• May be responsible for ensuring compliance with B&V quality program.
• Provides related guidance and direction to others.
• Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts.
• Prepares a variety of complex engineering deliverables for larger or multiple projects.
• Performs complex research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection.
• Oversees collection, assimilation, and management of data for engineering work.
• Prepares complex engineering calculations following standard methods and principles.
• Manages assigned budget, schedule, and quality requirements.
• Independently applies advanced engineering techniques and analysis problems and methods.
• Actively coordinates with all other internal/external team members on moderately complex projects.
Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology:
• Serves as a technical specialist and has knowledge and skill set to provide consultation and guidance to project teams in a particular practice area.
• Typically supports multiple projects on the complex technical challenges.
• Actively fosters knowledge management and provides mentoring.
• Develops and applies advanced engineering concepts and approaches to unique engineering problems.
• Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing.
• Minimum of 3 years work experience in Substation Design or Control & Protection on Substation Projects.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Passed Fundamentals of Engineering Exam
• Written Communications
• Drive for Results
• Decision Quality
• Priority Setting
• Planning and Delegation
• Conflict Management
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Customer Focus
• Working knowledge of substation high voltage physical design such as (substation arrangement, electrical clearances, rigid bus design, raceway, lightning protection, grounding analysis/design, and similar areas) AND/OR knowledge of substation protection & control design (development of relaying one lines, schematics, wiring diagrams, RTU/SCADA drawings, control building layouts, relay panel layouts, coordination studies, relay settings and similar areas).
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Disabled/Veterans/Females