|Job Ref:||WVT16-5711||Employer:||General Dynamics US||Industry:||Manufacturing||Country:||United States||County/State:||Alabama||City:||Huntsville||Address:||Post Date:||21/10/2016 05:14|
General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems manufactures large-, medium- and small-caliber direct and indirect-fire munitions and is a leader in the development and production of lightweight tactical vehicles, weapons and armament systems. The company designs and produces shaped charge and penetrator warheads and manufactures precision metal components for missiles, rockets and composite structures for the commercial, aerospace and defense markets. The company also produces propellants and non-lethal and force-protection products.|
NB: This position is posted at our locations in Hunstville, AL, Williston, VT and Springboro, OH. The successful incumbent can be located at either location; Only one position will be filled.
Lead manufacturing engineering professionals for the Precision Systems Rockets organization with particular focus on supplier development. Responsible for leading the development of process capability and control strategies and discipline through the entire value chain. Support the development of a manufacturing technology roadmap for the business unit. Responsible for participating in enterprise and business unit functional decisions and for the development and mentoring of individual contributors.
Represent the organization on high-level functional and technical matters in the company and business unit. Understand industry, customer base, technology base, and company dynamics. Demonstrated expertise in performance management and communication as well as the following:
• Lead Design for Manufacturability efforts. Evaluate life cycle cost including diminishing resource impact over product life cycle. Develop transition to production plan(s) and determine full-rate tooling and equipment needs. Participate as a design team member to manage and improve design-to-build lead times, reduce costs and oversee manufacturing process design evolution. During product design, interface with the Project Engineer, suppliers and other subject matter experts to determine optimum methods and processes for manufacturing components and systems. Attend engineering design reviews, provide producibility suggestions, and rank each design in accordance with Manufacturing Risk codes. Perform cost trade studies and make/buy analyses.
• Provide technical expertise in analyzing and improving supplier manufacturing capabilities and capacity. Provide technical expertise as needed/requested in the areas of manufacturing, test, failure analysis and part selection. Provide input to activities such as supplier evaluation, source selection, request for proposal submittal reviews, best value determination and supplier capacity analysis. Attend activities including Supplier Production Readiness Evaluation (SPRV) and Manufacturing Product Process Verification (MPPV) events.
• Prevent manufacturing problems by performing Failure Modes and Effects Analysis for production processes. Solve manufacturing problems and troubleshoot production processes by performing root cause analysis for problem operations. Consult in troubleshooting product failures and quality issues and lead root cause and corrective action teams as necessary. Disposition non-conforming material both within company facilities and at suppliers including implementation of corrective and preventive actions. Develop special work instructions and/or rework or repair instructions as needed.
• Review drawing changes and contract modifications to determine impact to the manufacturing process and incorporate the required changes.
• Conduct Continuous Improvement Training to facilitate organizational learning.
• Develop project charters and project plans, schedules and resource budgets for projects and initiatives. Provide status and inputs to these plans over time. Interface with upper management, customers and suppliers presenting the technical aspects associated with manufacturing processes, root cause analysis and metrics.
• Lead continuous improvement activities and initiatives (including Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, Kaizen events, 5Ss, Kanbans and QCO (Quick Change over) teams, Design for Manufacturability, quality and cost reduction initiatives). Work closely with suppliers to reduce waste and optimize efficiency. Define and improve the value stream and process capabilities for different types of manufacturing processes and equipment.
• Act as Operations Technical Lead for large scale bid and proposal efforts by coordinating with all proposal team members and performing review of labor estimates including review of assumptions, basis of estimates, capital equipment requirements and learning curve calculations as necessary. Performs make/buy analysis for new and existing manufacturing processes.
• Administer and execute Company policies and procedures that govern the work of GD-OTS employees.
• Management of personnel and associated resources to meet assigned individuals career growth objectives, project cost objectives and milestones
• Management of a facility and/or laboratory to include: annual budget responsibility, infrastructure maintenance and upgrades, technical capabilities development including staff and equipment/tools.
BSME or equivalent degree; MS Engineering Desireable
Required: •MS Office Suite including Access, Powerpoint, Project and Excel (especially graphing)•Time studies and cost estimating •Statistical Analysis and Statistical Process Control •CAD Platforms, such as Autocad, Solid Edge, etc. •Fault proofing, Root Cause Analysis •Process Mapping /Value Stream Mapping •Understanding of ISO9001, CMMI standards and Lean Six Sigma Techniques •Manufacturing process development and planning, test plan development, factory design and basic layout •Project Leadership and collaborative teamwork •Control and disposition of non-conforming material •Change control /validation methods and principles •Understanding of Capital Expenditure procedures. •Tool design and gauging approaches •Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing•Strong communication skills•Effective time management skills •Ability to solve problems and adapt to change•Conflict resolution skills
Preferred:•High degree of integrity, attention to detail, effective communication skills, self-starter, good computer skills. •Design of Experiments •MRP/ERP labor and material functions •Basic simulation modeling (Arena, ProModel) •Six Sigma Black Belt certification
• Min 10-15 years relevant experience in a manufacturing environment
• Track record of success in leading Lean Six Sigma process improvement projects