Thales protects 80% of the world’s banking transactions as well as safeguarding the biggest names in technology. We’re a leading force in cyber security, both in the UK and globally. And to keep our customers’ information and communications safe and secure in this constantly shifting, immensely challenging sector, we need to excel, evolve and invent. That’s why we only want to work with the brightest, most ambitious minds in our industry. That’s why we want to work with you.|
World-leading cyber security business Thales e-Security is seeking a talented Technical Architect to join us in securing some of the world’s most valuable information. Based in central Cambridge near the railway station, the business provides vital, trusted crypto security systems to companies all over the world and is responsible for protecting more than 80% of worldwide payment transactions.
Cryptography is the backbone of online and mobile security and our encryption products are used by 19 out of the 20 of the world’s largest banks, high profile technology companies and a multitude of well-known companies. Thales e-Security also prides itself on encouraging and supporting innovation and creativity among its teams and the company is working in a number of exciting and emerging markets.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
In this role you will provide, vision and goals to facilitate Infrastructure Architecture activity on behalf of the Thales e-Security (TeS) IT infrastructure team.
You will build relationships with customers, stake holders and management across all relevant regions and work with the business groups and departments such as Engineering, Professional Services, Sales, Support and many others to gather their requirements and meet their needs.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
In this role you will assist in the creation of best practice working methods for use within the IT team, and for the business as a whole by using IT services and technology to create and improve working practices. It is important that you encourage business integration through the use of unified IT services and provide support with Data Storage, Virtualization, Windows, and Unix/Linux.
Other responsibilities include:
- Monitor technology infrastructure architectures to identify, analyse, and resolve infrastructure problems.
- Perform reviews of network and system designs to ensure they are consistent with the infrastructure architecture.
- Provide 3rd and 4th level IT support on an as needed basis and in the event of an emergency.
- Assist in the development of staff and team skills through knowledge sharing and informal training
- Creates design documents that ensure consistency in development across the IT organization. Participates in the definition of IT architecture to ensure that the IT organization's IT solutions are built within a consistent framework.
- Participates in the decision-making processes related to the selection of software architecture solutions.
- Serves as a technical and business-savvy resource to software development engineering personnel on a range of software design issues.
- Implements and improves core software infrastructure. Participates in improving software development lifecycle, technical operations and technology innovation.
- Participates in developing technical / business approaches and new or enhanced technical tools.
- Shares complex information related to areas of expertise and/or to gain acceptance of new or enhanced technology / business solutions.
- Effectively resolves problems and roadblocks as they occur.
- May perform systems and applications performance characterization and trade-off studies through analysis and simulation.
- Act as a primary design authority for IT Infrastructure Team.
- Advanced Knowledge of the Microsoft Business Productivity Suite, Windows. Server and other Microsoft products.
- Knowledge of a variety of different operating systems & Database (Linux, UNIX, Windows, VMware, Android, iOS & SQL).
- Business case development.
- Documentation Creation.
You will have knowledge of the following:
- IT best practice.
- Disaster Recovery.
- Converged IT Infrastructure.
- Datacentre and other IT hardware from a variety of vendors.
- Hub and Spoke Office Infrastructure.
- VMware, Cisco and NetApp technologies.
- Network and IT Security technologies.
- Cloud, SaaS & Web technologies.
- Industry standards and such as ISO, ITIL, SANS and others.
- Familiarity with data privacy practices and regulations.
- COBIT processes.
- In depth technical knowledge of Microsoft technologies and Operating Systems and best practice processes for the delivery and management of same and Hands on experience in UNIX (Linux/Solaris/AIX/HP-UX).
- A clear track record in the provision of Windows, Unix Linux Server HW support.
- Leadership experience in server side or client side technologies.
- Experience in domain-specific architecture concepts and emerging technologies. (Design patterns, frameworks, current Java based solutions, mobile, OR Infrastructure Administration OR Data Sciences).
- You will have previously worked with matrix teams including teams in different time zones.
- Experience creating and promoting guiding development principles and influencing development teams, business users and management in adoption of technical solutions.
- You will be able to work remotely from the wider team.
- Experience with large deployment of Windows work stations is preferred.
- Hands-on experience with Windows SCCM is a plus.
- Experience with administration and management of Windows operating system preferred.
- Knowledge of relevant architectural frameworks such as TOGAF (preferred) or Zachman is advantageous.
- CISSP certification & VMware Certified Professional (VCP) 6.0.
- Familiarity with Data Centre technologies (CISCO UCS & NetApp Storage).
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information technology, Engineering, Science, or Maths or equivalent experience.
*Li - RD