|Job Ref:||37538||Employer:||Goodrich||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Hertfordshire||City:||Hemel Hempstead||Address:||Post Date:||18/10/2016 05:05|
UTAS is leading the development of more electric systems on aircraft and as a major supplier of electric drive systems for aircraft, UTAS Motor Drive Systems has a growing range of high performance electric motors and drives in its product portfolio. This role is to provide world class levels of in service support of these high performance electric motors and motor drive systems, working closely with other UTAS divisions both as customers and partners, to ensure the highest levels of customer satisfaction.|
Purpose of the Role:
We are seeking experienced engineers to investigate, diagnose and implement product improvements in response to problems identified during the production and inservice operation of high performance analogue and digital hardware. Successful candidates will typically work as part of a small team of engineers, within a total team of up to 50 people at our modern Birmingham engineering base. The team is responsible for carrying out all the tasks required to implement robust solutions to in service problems, on time and to the required quality standards. Engineers will bring good knowledge of modern electronic design techniques with the ability to deploy appropriate software analysis tools as required.
Our teams also need to bring to bear sound EMC design skills and a good appreciation of the factors that need to be managed to deliver the size, weight and reliability goals our customers set. Engineers will deliver the documentation for commercial aircraft systems that give customers and airworthiness authorities the appropriate assurance that the design has been professionally executed and proven.
We expect our engineers to deploy tenacity, perseverance and sound problem solving abilities, together with a willingness to learn and use new techniques, as UTAS continue to refine and improve the product development processes.
Our senior engineering people assist project managers with estimating work and ensure they follow through on programmes and ensure timely completion.
You can expect a dynamic environment, where process improvement is a way of life, and we constantly strive to do our work better than before, but also ensure that we take care of our people when a supportive employer is most valued.
The above is a general description of the duties of the position and should not be considered exhaustive. Successful candidates may be stretched with other tasks consistent with their skills and abilities, with support and training provided.
The Senior Engineer will provide technical expertise and a working knowledge of the product development processes that are required to ensure that a product meets the internal, customer and certification requirements.
Essential Requirements / Personal Characteristics:
• Strong analogue and digital circuit design skills.
• A minimum of 5 years electronics design experience.
• A degree level or HND qualification in Electronic Engineering.
• Good understanding of PCB layout and design for signal integrity and EMC.
• Understanding of modern electronic hardware manufacturing and test activities.
• Good knowledge of product verification and approval activies.
• Good problem solving skills.
• A proactive style, team spirit, high energy level, and positive outlook.
• Demonstrable Time Management skills.
• Ability to multi task and cope with a degree of pressure in a professional product development environment.
One or more of the following will also be valued
• Work experience with aerospace or other high reliability, safety critical products.
• Design for operation over extended temperature ranges, -55°C to 125°C.
• Experience with one or more of the following software tools: DOORS (requirements management), SPICE based or Saber (circuit simulation), Mathcad, Simulink, Matlab (analysis tools), Mentor or Cadence (Schematic capture and PCB layout).
• Experience of circuit protection techniques and design of interface circuits for use in harsh electrical environments - lightning, noise, EMC.
• An understanding of power electronics and thermal management techniques - IGBTs, DC/DC converters, power supply design.
• An understanding of brushless AC and DC motor drive operation.
• An understanding of control system design.
• Knowledge of high reliability design processes including DO254 or related standards.
From time to time the successful candidate may be required by the Company to perform other tasks and/or learn new skills which are not included in the above description, but are within the capabilities of the individual and, where necessary, training will be given.