KBR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. |
Lead Estimator - Construction
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position will report to the Program Manager functionally and support the Construction Services product line, and will be responsible for independently applying advanced estimating techniques, requiring extensive engineering and estimating experience.
This position will provide advanced estimating services for government based construction services as follows -
- RS Means required
- Lead hard bid estimates start to finish, for the contractor, assign roles to team members, call and lead meetings as needed to meet goals and dates, follow up and through to deliver tight competitive estimates minimizing scope gaps and misses.
- Work with other estimators and project team members, encourage ethics in estimating, be aggressive yet sound in bid fees, buy downs and margins
- Personally read plans, amendment and specs to develop takeoffs, apply productivity factors, develop labor plans and crew sizing, then price the work for purposes of bidding self-performed work.
- Input on strategies, be creative and voice ideas and options to help book work, success hit ratio at 25% is needed, secure subcontractor coverage and active relationships, call subcontractors and secure their best numbers. Help locate leads, attend and actively participate in site visits, pursuit conference calls, subcontractor lists and contacts a plus, positive history and positive working relationships with subcontractors is a must.
- Write scope sheets, instructions to bidders, distribute documents and instructions to bidders and bidder information, be able to support self without administrative and clerical assistance.
- Only self starters, self motivators, and persons with optimistic and entrepreneurial attitudes need apply.
- 15% to 25% travel required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- 15 to 20 year's experience in the commercial construction industry. 10 years of Federal competitive bid experience as a key or lead estimator, Lead estimator and hard bid experience is required, specific experience with national and Texas markets required.
- Must be very strong and quick on excel, Timberline, On Screen Take Off and similar estimating tools typical to the industry.
- Accurate and detailed oriented with strong leadership skills, good and fair with people, a solid working knowledge of field operations and project management is required.
- Must be able to relate these skills direct to estimates, constructability and field efficiencies to result in low and competitive bids.
- Must have a 4 year engineering degree with relevant field grade construction experience. Professional Engineer licensing is a big plus.
- Must be able to develop material and equipment quantity takeoffs from IFC specs and drawings, and in conjunction with Schedulers and Operations estimate and plan crew sizing with activity durations.
- Must have a solid overarching competence of scope definition, quotation analysis, bid leveling and unit pricing for all CSI specifications with an emphasis on general construction conditions and overall bid assembly and submittal.
- Experience in commercial estimating practices and bid day activities is required. A list of past project estimated and won should be submitted as part of the professional resume to include details of bidding self-performed work.
- Must possess strong organizational, negotiation, interpersonal, and leadership skills, have the ability to work hands-on and independently, as well as part of the team.
- Candidate must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and be able to prove knowledge of construction estimating software.
- Candidate must be eligible to obtain a SECRET security clearance.
- Travel required up to 25%.
- Supervisory or project leadership experience in a construction environment is preferred.
- Experience with and knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) is preferred.