The Riyadh Metro project is a consortium led by Bechtel which includes Almabani General Contractors, Consolidated Contractors Company and Siemens. |
The consortium will be responsible for the design, construction, train cars, signalling, electrification and integration of Lines 1 and 2 of the new Riyadh Metro system.
Line 1 will stretch from north to south across Riyadh, covering 24 miles (38km). It will include 22 stations and four transfer stations where it will connect with other new metro lines. Much of Line 1 will be underground.
In contrast, Line 2 will be built mostly on a raised strip in the median of the planned freeway. This line will run east to west and will extend more than 15.7 miles (25km) with 13 stations and three transfer stations.
The new lines will feature stations powered by renewable energy and fully automatic trains.
The contract is the largest engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contract in Bechtel's history and these lines, along with four others, will form the backbone of Riyadh's new public transportation network.
Reporting to the Civil Works Joint Venture (CWJV) Engineering Director, the Fire & Life Safety Engineering Manager will lead the project providing expertise and guidance on Fire & Life Safety (F&LS) matters. The post holder will act as the focal point for the complete project's life cycle as set out above including the final commissioning and handover to the Employer the ArRiyadh Development Authority (ADA).
The post holder will ensure that the CWJV's design, procurement and construction works remain compliant with the Contract and that timely F&LS related approvals are achieved from the Employer, the Independent Safety Assessor (ISA) and other stakeholders in particular the Riyadh Civil Defense General Directorate (GDCD).
POSITION DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide oversight and management of F&LS engineering aspects;
- Engage with JV's designers and provide leadership in developing and delivering compliant designs, subsystems and works resulting in GDCD approvals;
- Facilitate Safety Certification from the ISA and the Saudi Rail Commission;
- Develop emergency strategies and plans including outline emergency response, firefighting and evacuation plans;
- Support internal/external Stakeholders such that timely approvals are secured;
- Ensure that Engineering/Procurement/Construction/Commissioning along with contractual, procedural compliance is maintained in respect of F&LS matters;
- Prepare and manage Project guidelines, procedures and plans that set out robust F&LS processes that ensure that the delivered designs and construction works are consistent with the BACS requirements;
- Ensure that the CWJV System Safety requirements are maintained such that timely safety hazard analysis (HAZIDs) and safety risk assessments are held in support of the developing F&LS designs and works;
- Review and assess the JV's subcontractor F&LS design submissions for compliance to Employer's requirements in particular NFPA 130 and other Saudi Codes and Standards;
- Organise and conduct regular meetings / tracking completion of agreed actions with in house teams, subcontractors and stakeholders regarding F&LS matters;
- Conduct inspections to ensure that the JV's subcontracted material and equipment suppliers along with installers are compliant with the JV's and F&LS Contract requirements;
- Liaison with the Bechtel Infrastructure Functional Team in regard of F&LS functional matters.
- JOB KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- The F&LS Engineering Manager will be a professional in the field of F&LS engineering with extensive experience in the design, construction and testing / commissioning phases of modern metro projects;
- University degree in Engineering or equivalent;
- Membership of relevant institution;
- Chartered Engineer or equivalent (desirable);
- High standard of written and spoken English;
- Sound experience in managing project safety in railway projects based on CENELEC Standards or equivalent;
- Experience in working in multicultural environment involving various programme/project consortia, vendors and contractors;
- Extensive knowledge of Middle Eastern F&LS practices in particular liaison with Civil Defense authorities;
- Excellent knowledge of the US National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards, in particular NFPA130 and all related and sub referenced F&LS standards. In addition, familiar with the Saudi Building Codes as they relate to the CWJV RMP works.
- Extensive and proven experience in the development of strategies and outline building and metro emergency planning including firefighting and evacuation plans;
- Strong working knowledge in rail civil works such as surface and subsurface structures e.g. stations, tunnels, viaducts etc. In addition, F&LS related systems; mechanical, electrical, plumbing, occupancies and fire protection systems and practices;
- Good assurance expertise, related report writing and presentations to Board level and safety authority audiences;
- Substantial project life-cycle experience, especially during Certification, Testing & Commissioning, and Handover phases.
- ESSENTIAL COMPANY REQUIREMENTS:
- Ethics: Commitment to BACS Ethical standards as demonstrated by success on prior projects;
- Quality: Commitment to BACS Quality standard as demonstrated by prior Supervisors' evaluations of work performance. ES&H;
- Demonstrated commitment to BACS Zero Incident philosophy by prior active engagement and demonstration of ES&H Leadership;
- Leadership: Demonstrated ability to develop and coach effective teams to achieve the deliverables and objectives for the BACS project;
- Respect: Personally committed to respectful behaviors, building the same attitudes within the project personnel; the focus of which is treat people with respect and dignity, listen actively; communicate in a timely and forthright manner and never undermining colleagues;
- Demonstrate sound relationship-building skills with both clients and staff and an ability to influence and coach others;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Customer service orientation;
- Self-time management to meet tight delivery requirements;
- Flexible attitude to balance work load and deadlines.