Job type: Contract
Date posted: 18-07-2016
Duration: 3 Years
A leading operator in Qatar require an experienced Senior Safety Engineer for this 3 year contract. Must have offshore experience & 15 years project experience.
Senior Safety Engineer
Primary Purpose of the Job
Providing oversight and guidance for safety, health, environmental and regulatory compliance and performance on the Phase 1/2 redevelopment project and reporting into the Management Team and company corporate HSE groups.
Functional leadership of the project HSE organization responsible for the identification and management of all key HSE issues, with focus on the successful execution of the projects without incidents on time, within budget and in accordance with project and company requirements specifications and standards.
Lead the development, implementation, maintenance and further improvement of appropriate HSE management methods, systems and procedures for use by the Project Management Team.
- Ensure an effective suite of management procedures are in place for all HSE management either through adoption of suitable existing company procedures or through the development of dedicated Project Procedures.
- Ensure that company policies, procedures and controls are adhered to at all times.
- Be the owner of the Emergency response plans for any offshore constructions activities, assess their effectiveness and their state of readiness
- Develop HSE objectives, strategies and performance indicators to ensure that the Project is enabled to deliver safely, on time, within budget, and in accordance with the agreed project requirements.
- Ensure safety section of the contract bid documents are complete; review and evaluate contractor safety information during the contractor selection process.
- Support the Project in defining their HSE Organizations and Transition/Mobilisation/Demobilisation plan and assist them with mobilizing all positions in a timely manner in conjunction with company Human Capital. Ensure the organization has the requisite skill sets. Support the development of Qatari Nationals in coordination with the Human Capital Department, in order to ensure proper job training and development.
- Oversee, monitor and report HSE activity and performance, with focus on leading and lagging indicators
- Demonstrate a strong leadership commitment through the establishment of tangible Contractor safety practices that will be utilized during the fabrication and installation phases of the project.
- Ensure that HSE Management Plans are in place and effectively implemented and monitored project-wide
- Serve as the point of contact for the Phase 1/2 Project HSE Coordinators with regard to HSE plans, processes, agreements and progress updates
- Monitor contractor fabrication and installation safety programs and safe work practices.
- Assist project team in identifying project safety concerns
- Participate in contractor kick-off meetings
- Provide safety & health information/expertise to the site team
- Provide safety training to the site team as required
- Inspect & audit fabrication sites and installation vessels
- Recommend course of action on safety performance of contractors
- Verify appropriate equipment & procedures are used for safe work performance.
- Conduct safety meetings as needed
- Participate in meetings involving contractor safety problems/incidents
- Support contractor safety award programs
- Conduct regular safety walkthrough and make sure that procedures are implemented on the fabrication site
- Monitor/track contractor incident and injury reports and participate in incident investigations as required
- Verify heavy lift plans and method statements
- Coordinate with company Marine department, on Contractor activities in order to ensure that Marine spread are inspected in line with company requirements, load out, sail out, and installations are done safely
- Appraise the Project Manager /2 at all times as to the status of significant HSE issues.
Decision Making Authority
- Devise own work methods and working practices independently within the framework of established policies and guidelines in order achieve project objectives.
- Responsible to advise on HSE problem resolution during the Redevelopment.
Context / Special Features / Challenges
- Exposed to business trips overseas.
- Exposed to different cultures, backgrounds and environments. Need to attend to and resolve conflicts, challenges and problems related to a large multi-cultural and multi-discipline technical workforce.
- Exposed to Offshore/Onshore work environments during construction, installation, hookup, commissioning, start-up, and handover.
- Activities executed with the highest required level of confidentiality.
- Needs high level of networking, technical and influencing skills as no direct authority over discrete project work programs.
Qualifications / Knowledge / Skills / Experience
- NA. degree from a recognized University would be advantageous.
- Membership in a recognized professional HSE association/institution would be advantageous.
- 15+ years of major international project experience preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience on similar projects.
- Results oriented. Must be able to understand impact of decisions/changes on project HSE risks and overall project success.
- Strong technical competence in Project, Fabrication, Installation Construction and Offshore Safety.
- Strong management skills.
- Ability to work in a multifaceted/multinational organizational matrix with a variety of working relationships.
- Demonstrated strong diplomatic, influencing and interpersonal/teambuilding skills.
- Ability to utilize networking, influence skills and technical knowledge to achieve HSE goals.