Innovation and research are key to Thales staying ahead of the competition and central to Thales UK’s strategic focus on profitable growth.
Thales Research and Technology are seeking experienced Senior Research Scientists to join our research centre based in Reading and become part of a an innovative and creative team. You will be expected to work within a group of other research staff, as well as being self-motivated to work individually, and be flexible to adapt into new research areas and ways of working.
As a Senior Research Scientist you will investigate and develop new technologies and concepts under the governance of the Thales corporate technical strategy across a wide range of application areas to include:
- Carry out fundamental feasibility studies, state-of-the-art surveys and modelling/simulation.
- Develop proof of concept demonstrators using appropriate software and hardware implementations
- Work within a research team to invent and explore new concepts and technologies and demonstrate their applicability to the Thales businesses.
Skills and experience
- Scope and plan assigned research project using domain skills and knowledge to achieve milestones required on project management plan
- Assist with creating and implementing the required innovative solutions to meet individual and team objectives in line with business requirements
- Ensure effecting knowledge sharing within research project and encourage cross training of skills due to variety of domain projects and skills required
- Ensure forecast of research projects incorporate on time and budget delivery
- Attend technical reviews with project team with present findings and solutions to team
- Liaise with customer to plan and transfer technology within research project plan
- Adhere to governance and processes in line with project management plan
- Previous experience in a research or advanced development environment role and have a good awareness of business, structure, governance and process
- Ideally previous domain knowledge from either; Avionics, Defence, Rail, Space, Security
- Due to advanced nature of the work involved you will have a minimum 2:1 degree in either Electrical Engineering, Communications Engineering, Computer Science or Cybernetics, Information Technology
- The successful candidate should have experience in some of the following:
- Mathamatical modelling and simulation
- Numerical analysis of data
- Probability and statistics
- Signal and image processing techniques
- Algorithm development for sensors
- Sensor Systems
- Small scale software
- Embedded programming
Become part of an innovative and evolving business, apply now
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.