|Job Ref:||1615622||Employer:||Tyco||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Country:||United Kingdom||City:||Belfast||Address:||Post Code:||BT7||Post Date:||05/10/2016 22:08|
Position: Principal Software Engineer|
Reports To: Software Development Manager
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and multi industrial leader serving a wide range of customers in more than 150 countries. Our 117,000 employees create intelligent buildings, efficient energy solutions, integrated infrastructure and next generation transportation systems that work seamlessly together to deliver on the promise of smart cities and communities. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. We are committed to helping our customers win and creating greater value for all of our stakeholders through strategic focus on our buildings and energy growth platforms. For additional information, please visit NA or follow us @johnsoncontrols on Twitter.
American Dynamics is a $300M business based in Belfast, US, China and India with over 400 employees. American Dynamics maintains a significant Research and Development presence in Belfast. The successful candidate will perform a key technical role within the Software Team through designing, developing and delivering software components for the AD portfolio of video surveillance products.
Education & Experience
• BSc Hons Degree Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering or combination of education (HND,HNC) and work related experience.
• Demonstrable track record of commercial software design and development
• Experience or knowledge of all software development phases - product feature definition through code maintenance.
Essential Competencies & Skills
Integrity, Excellence, Accountability, Communication, Innovation, Problem Solving & Analysis, Teamwork
• Extensive experience in software development in C/C in a Unix/Linux/Embedded Linux Environment.
• Experience should include some of the following: Open Source Software Integration, Software Security Mechanisms, UDP/IP, TCP/IP, Sockets, low level file I/O, Process and Process control, Signal handling, Kernel Driver knowledge, STL, Video/Audio Standards, Relational Databases and Web Technologies.
• Excellent diagnostic and troubleshooting skills.
• Evidence of leadership and execution of software development methods and processes.
• Evidence of mentoring/coaching software team members.
• Ability to work in an agile software development environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communications and interpersonal skills.
Desirable Competencies & Skills
• Experience with multiple processor families (e.g. x86, ARM, TI DSP, MSP430).
• RTOS experience (e.g. TI-RTOS, VxWorks, FreeRTOS).
• Bare-metal programming experience.
• Experience with hardware debugging tools (e.g. JTAG debuggers).
• Experience with scripting languages (e.g. Python, Bash, Perl).
• Device driver development experience.
• Experience with automated build systems (e.g. Jenkins).
• Experience with using network analysis tools (e.g. Wireshark).
• Experience of video streaming technologies
As a Principal Software Engineer, the successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
• Design, develop, test and maintain software.
• Provide technical leadership in the design and product specification process.
• Develop technical documentation in-line with industry best practices.
• Interface with other functions with the business to ensure the timely delivery of high quality products.
• Adhere to development processes including code reviews, design reviews and coding guidelines.
• Act as an enthusiastic and motivated member of the product development team.
• Maintain knowledge of new technologies in the field of security systems.
The job will be based in Belfast, Northern Ireland and may involve a degree of travel to other companies within the segment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Although no job description can adequately detail the full scope of duties necessary, the requirements listed above are a representation of the levels of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform these activities.