|Job Ref:||00015382||Employer:||Oxy||Industry:||Environmental||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United States||County/State:||Texas||City:||Dallas||Address:||Post Date:||10/10/2016 01:02|
Contribute. Grow. Lead...with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people. |
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda - key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. For every product it makes, OxyChem's market position is No. 1 or No. 2 in the U.S.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Manager - Waste Programs located in Dallas, TX.
Essential Job Duties:
This position is responsible for promulgating and continuously improving a management program to ensure company/facility compliance with solid/hazardous waste related environmental laws and regulations through program/procedural development and training, as well as direct mentoring of facility personnel.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Provide leadership to the organization in the identification, development and implementation of areas of focus to promote continuous improvement in Recycling of secondary materials, waste minimization and cost reduction in waste disposal management.
• Negotiate RCRA Treatment, Storage and Disposal permit provisions, both during periodic renewal and when modifications are required for expanded/new facilities, with regulatory agencies to obtain timely and cost effective results.
• Develop strategies for and negotiate resolution of solid/hazardous waste related compliance issues and respond to agency inspections/legal actions.
• Provide technical support for recycling projects and waste characterization determinations, including sampling and analytical testing of waste characteristics, as well as QA/QC requirements.
• Participate on facility audit teams and assist facilities in responding to audit action items, and provide regulatory assistance to facilities to improve processes and documentation to demonstrate compliance.
• Participate on Industry association committees responsible for waste and recycling related issues, both at the national and state levels. Assess the impact of proposed regulatory and legislative changes on our products and manufacturing operations and prepare comments on behalf of the company to ensure company impacts and recommendations are recognized and considered by regulators.
• Work closely with Glenn Springs Holdings (GSH) remediation teams to minimize costs of remediation of past hazardous substance releases to soil and groundwater at operating facilities, while reducing risks to current operations.
• Assist Supply Chain staff with waste disposal contract negotiations and develop related waste disposal cost reduction projects in conjunction with facility staff.
• Initiate special projects to anticipate and/or respond to solid/hazardous waste and recycling related regulatory issues, e.g. Definition of a Solid Waste, RCRA waste handling issues, Delisting Petitions, Recycling exemptions, Legitimate recycling determinations, etc.
• Provide technical expertise to management, facilities and other Oxy divisions where a solid waste related issue is expected to have a significant impact. Integrate waste and recycling management planning with air and water quality management programs to assure consistency, capture synergies, manage overlaps and address conflicting requirements.
• Initiate projects to capture synergies in recycling and waste treatment activities across operating facilities, as well as GSH projects to minimize overall company costs and maximize utilization of on-site capabilities.
• Support regulatory approvals for reuse of OxyChem wastes and secondary materials as products to be utilized by other Oxy facilities and third party customers, e.g. spent sulfuric acid, light and heavy ends to Catoxid and/or Perc reactors, etc.
• In support of HES&S Department communications, prepare and submit relevant waste and recycling information for company annual reports as well as special reports for community and company advocacy efforts. This includes waste reduction planning, TRI reporting and related release reductions, including those related to process changes at operating facilities.
• Provide periodic training on Waste related topics.
• Accept and manage other responsibilities as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in Chemical and related Engineering, Chemistry, Environmental Science, or equivalent
• 10 or more years overall environmental waste experience required
• Must have functional computer skills
Oxy is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status