Thales’s expert teams develop solutions that provide sophisticated real-time intelligence for soldiers in the field. From horizon-to-horizon airborne reconnaissance to technology that captures and relays over 9 million pixels every second, our products include some of the most advanced reconnaissance systems in the world. So whether our people are developing next-generation infrared and thermal imaging, liaising with global customers or providing essential business support, they play a key role in informing and enabling critical decisions.|
Our Mechanical Engineering team are recruiting for a Principal Mechanical Engineer to work on the design and modification of electro-mechanical and electro-optical systems across Defence and Aerospace projects.
This is a full time, permanent position, initially based in Basingstoke and later moving to Reading as part of our planned office relocation.
- Design and develop electro-mechanical and electro-optical systems for a diverse range of land, sea and air applications.
- Modelling and analysis using 3d CAD Mechanical Design Software supported by implicit and explicit FEA codes
- Test and Production support
- Assess merits of different design concepts and perform trade-off analyses
- Work across multi-disciplinary teams, closely interacting with electronics engineers
Skills and Experience
- An excellent understanding of the fundamentals of Mechanical Engineering and design
- Proven design and analysis experience in related industry, preferably defence or aerospace
- A good working knowledge of Mechanical CAD, DFMA and DfE
- Working knowledge of Pro-Engineer WF4 or CREO 2 Mechanical CAD
- Self motivated and capable of working alone and within teams
- Good written and oral communication skills to allow effective communication with peers, and both technical and non-technical customers.
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Knowledge of design of precision opto-mechanical and electro-mechanical assemblies
- Design for military environments
- Design for multi-axis machining
- Design using plastics and plastic moulding
- Understanding of BS8888 including GD&T
- Working knowledge of Pro-Mechanica or similar implicit FEA code.
- Materials knowledge covering metals, composites and surface treatments
- Working knowledge of defence standards
- Working knowledge of Product Data Management systems
- Working knowledge of Work Package Management
- Process improvement skills, LEAN/6 Sigma