Thales technology makes it possible for two thirds of planes to take off and land safely. Thales also protects 80% of the world’s banking transactions and is Europe’s number one supplier of defence electronics. Beyond that our people have made London’s Jubilee and Northern Lines 20% more efficient and have delivered more than 300 air defence radars in 26 countries. We’re a leading name in our markets and a diverse, constantly evolving organisation. Join us.|
Thales have secured a 10 year Long Term Support (LTS) contract to provide on-going support to six Data Processing and Control Systems (DPCS) to ensure continued operation through to the end of life. As part of our Energy Services Portfolio within the Secure Communication and Information Systems (SIX) domain, we require a Technical Manager to take responsibility for the engagement with the customer, supply chain and as required the Thales multi-discipline team (hardware / systems and software).
In this role you will be required to lead and be responsible for a team of engineers (Thales and supply chain) who are working on the development and support of the DPCS in a safety aware environment. You will also be required to provide technical expertise and advice on development issues and problems with the systems on site and be an active member for the development lifecycle used for the legacy systems, including all quality assurance aspects, integration and verification testing and configuration.
Summary of Internal Responsibilities:
- Work Package, delivery, management and reporting of relevant work packages, this will include software and database outputs, station support days and management of ad hoc tasking.
- Keeping the Portfolio Engineering Manager (PEM) appraised on progress, issues and the resource loading required.
- The 6 monthly delivery of the Consolidated Risk Position and taking a proactive approach to the recommendations, actively driving the customer’s budget planning for the priority items over the duration of the contract (currently until 2024).
- Supporting the PEM in technical reporting to the SIX Technical Director, reducing Risk burden to the project.
- Provide technical governance of the supply chain and support the supply chain management (APM).
- Supporting the Thales Through Life Support Engineering team, with system knowledge and engineering experience and customer understanding.
- Actively taking part and encouraging Knowledge management to increase the understanding of the systems and improve the robustness of the team.
- Supporting the SIX Head of Function in the AAD and PDD for the all team members.
Summary of External Responsibilities:
- Maintaining and Developing the relationship with the key customer and stakeholders.
- Ensuring that the agreed deliverables are made to the customer on time and in budget, this will include software and database outputs, station support days, and ad hoc tasking.
- Engaging with suppliers / contractors as required for delivering work packages for station based work (software and hardware).
- Thales Portfolio Engineering Manager.
- Thales HYB Engineering Team.
- Thales Project Management .
- Subject Matter Experts within Supply Chain.
- Customers’ Central Engineering DPCS Lead.
- Customers’ DPCS Lead.
Skills & Experience:
- Multi-Disciplined team leadership
- Technical understanding of Legacy Computer Based Systems.
- Ability to convey complex technical issues to others.
- Application of hardware and software through the full lifecycle from elicitation of customer requirement through to formal acceptance at customer sites, including integration and verification testing.
- Ability to review and verify comprehensive documentation for the design and test of hardware and software.
- Production of concise meeting minutes and reports.
- Ability to direct and control technical meetings.
- Microsoft Office Tools.
- Interaction between software and hardware.
- Legacy software and support.
- Legacy hardware and support.
- Requirements elicitation and management.
- Legacy computer based industrial systems and support.
- Knowledge of Intel (80286) based systems.
- Knowledge of Bull Honeywell (DPS6) based systems.
- Knowledge of DEC Alpha workstations and Servers.
- Nuclear Power Generation knowledge and experience, or
- Experience in Industrial Process controls for Safety Related Systems.
Values & Behaviours:
- Focus on Customers.
- Perform through teaming.
- Develop our people.
- Compliance with Thales Chorus 2.0 procedures.
In addition the key Thales behaviours:
- The ability to analyse complex technical problems and offer innovative, reasoned and practical solutions
- Self-motivated, innovative & willing to exercise initiative
- Customer focused acting professionally on behalf of Thales at all times
- Good interpersonal skills, being part of a multi-disciplinary team environment and support team members, including off site
- Ability to set clear team objectives and goals
- The ability to prioritise, manage own workload, be flexible, work under pressure and to demanding deadlines.
- Ability to carry out off site working at various power generation facilities as the Thales representative.
Degree or equivalent experience in a relevant Engineering / Computer Science Field
The majority of work will be carried out at Thales premises in Cheadle Stockport. Travel to client sites (Nuclear Environment clean side only) will be required regularly. Travel to other Thales premises will also be required. Travel within Europe will be infrequent. Therefore flexibility to travel and work at other locations is essential.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
*LI - RD