Why Choose AECOM?
Imagine working for a truly global company whose 45,000 employees share a singular passion: to make the world a better place. We enjoy what we do at AECOM. We bring projects to life in the cities and communities in which we work, and we're driven by a set of values and a common purpose - to create, enhance and sustain the world's built, natural and social environments. Innovation is built into every project we manage and every community we serve. We'll provide you support in an environment that allows you to grow and succeed. Come share your passion with us.
About the Business Line
Program, Cost, Consultancy
We provide cost and project management services, and specialist consultancy services, to public- and private-sector clients around the world, with a strong presence in Africa, Australia and New Zealand, Europe, the Middle East and the United States.
Our London office are looking for a Senior Design Manager to join their established team.
Purpose of the roll:
Managing the Design Management Team
- Provide support to AECOM Design Teams and external architects and assist with the management of the design process in London, the UK and internationally.
- Help grow the Design Management team in the UK by demonstrating value at every opportunity and assist in managing and mentoring junior design managers.
- To forge relationships with architects and engineers across AECOM and externally to build up a contact database
- Work closely with the Design Management team Associate Director and assist in the management of the Design Management team.
- Support the Design Management Director in their role and undertake duties such as business development, team performance reviews etc. as required.
- Gain an understanding of the Team leader's role and responsibilities and when required, supplement the Team Leader in their absence
- Management of AECOM financial process and invoicing through APIC/ ABC.
- Contribute to the DM business planning as required and continuously review business planning targets to monitor progress of the team.
- Lead Design Management projects across the UK.
- Assist in the development of the Design Management team members through mentoring, training and reviews.
- Review of work outputs from Design Management team prior to issue.
Establish and Manage Design Procedures
- Draft and distribute sub-consultant back-to-back contracts so that all scope is accounted for.
- Manage updates to sub-consultant contracts and prepare final documents.
- Prepare and update cash flow projections.
- Establish and manage procedures for invoice submission for sub-consultants.
Monitoring Design Schedule and Progress
- Establish and implement design procedures and protocols to be followed by the Design Team necessary for successful project delivery.
- Management of any information exchange including monitoring of deliverables issued by sub- consultants to determine whether submittals are as per agreed scopes.
Documentation and Deliverables
- Produce an integrated design schedule following liaison with all Design Team members and including key milestones laid out by the Client. Internal milestones, co-ordination sequences and delivery dates will be shown.
- Monitor design progress and identify areas of risk/ concern that are approaching.
- Identification of design deliverables, who they will be prepared by and when they need to be delivered.
Organise Project Meetings and the define the Decision Making Process
- Prepare progress reports in the necessary format as required.
- Monitor and collate comments from the Client on design submission and manage responses from the Design Team.
- Track and monitor status of all comments affecting design stage and final close-out.
- Prepare and agree with the Architect a schedule for all project workshops and meetings, including a preliminary outline agenda, location etc.
- Prepare in advance a formal timetable and agenda for all project workshops and obtain all necessary input from the Design Team to ensure all key issues are addressed.
- Prepare and issue minutes of all major project workshops and meetings, circulate these minutes for comment before formal issue to the Client where applicable.
- Chair Design Team meetings where required.
- Establish procedures and processes to assist in the briefing and information gathering process such as a Request for Information (RFI) system. Responsibilities and roles of decision making to be identified.
The Quality Assur ance/ Quality Management System
- This is a Client and Architect facing role and demonstrable skills in maintaining and developing both internal and external relationships are required.
- The jobholder will be expected to convey a positive attitude whilst maintaining the highest standards in undertaking their work and acting with integrity and professionalism at all times. They should comply with the firms laid down standards, procedures and processes and implement these effectively.
The firm has a world class reputation built upon a powerful brand which reflects its core values of integrity, innovation and collaboration. Jobholders should demonstrate an empathy with these values and seek to reflect them in undertaking their role.
- It is expected that the jobholder will contribute and participate positively in the Performance Review process, which underpins the firms approach to developing all staff. This will include taking ownership of agreed actions, including pursuing any training opportunities identified. Similarly, specific objectives will be agreed with the jobholder as part of the performance review process and they should assume responsibility for the delivery of these.
The jobholder will be expected to display a range of competencies, both behavioural and technical in undertaking the role. These are included in the Design Management Induction Plan and include areas such as:
Evidence of these being displayed will be reviewed as part of the Performance Review process and training and development needs agreed as appropriate.
- Understanding of the design process.
- Project and design programming skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Commercial awareness of projects.
The job holder will be expected to have a previous experience of working alongside Design Teams and an understanding and empathy of the design process. Additionally, working within a team environment would be beneficial to the role
No specific qualification is required although an industry standard qualification that demonstrates an understanding of the design and construction process would be beneficial.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.