Requisition ID: |
General Job Description
- Manage the development remit for a proposal so that it properly describes the engineering requirements, scope, possibilities and operational performance targets and maintain a robust challenge to sponsoring engineers and managers, in order to monitor and value manage the business and technical remit and thereby optimise the business case.
- Manage all engineering and development activities so that they result in schemes that are affordable, and that meet programme requirements in a safe & environmentally responsible manner for time, cost and quality.
- Manage (or undertake where applicable) the development of suitable engineering options for a proposal giving full consideration to safety, reliability, operational capacity modelling, maintainability, ease of construction, and environmental/whole life issues. Engineering excellence is to be supported by:
- Secure all relevant base data.
- Review compliance with appropriate standards.
- Use risk ID and evaluation methods (e.g. HAZOP, QRA, LRM), as suitable, to evaluate and compare options.
- Using feedback from all relevant past projects, lessons learned etc.
- Monitor that designers are up to date via training, briefings etc.
- Confirm whether strict change control is maintained on scope development; evaluate cost, time and performance impacts in conjunction with development management.
- Participate in the selection of a single option for further development, preparing or monitoring preparation of reports, papers etc. as necessary.
- Manage (or undertake where applicable) the development of the selected single option.
- Manage (or undertake where applicable) the preparation of the full engineering data package required for commencement of the detailed design, and participate in answering clarifications/queries as needed.
- Manage adequate resourcing of the feasibility stages of project development and in the use of the most appropriate support equipment.
- Manage the engineering interfaces of allocated proposals with concurrent work in other disciplines, or within other programmes.
- Act as or liaise with the appropriate Project Engineer so that method statements for site works and surveys in particular are produced and approved to the required standards.
- Monitor, assess, evaluate and audit Consultants and Contractors.
- Manage all Human Factors and HMI activities to successfully achieve handover
- Manage all special and interface requirements for the control centres.
- An engineering degree or equivalent industry-recognized training qualification.
- A demonstrable aptitude for option development.
- Strong evaluation and decision-making skills.
- A working knowledge of rail engineering; relevant successful experience working in the principal discipline and an adequate understanding of all other related disciplines.
- An ability to work and communicate effectively in a team context.
- An appreciation of all the life cycle stages of rail infrastructure.
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, procurement, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right- no matter how big, how complex or how remote. The reliability of our performance, the enduring quality of our projects, the strength of our ethics, and the seriousness of our commitment to safety and sustainability are evident in everything we do. Bechtel delivers for its customers what others can only promise.
- Membership of a relevant engineering professional institution.
- Experience in design, installation and maintenance.
- Formal qualifications in risk identification and assessment.
- Yellow book or CSM course.
Build your career as you build some of the most challenging and complex projects in the world today.
Bechtel is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer (AA/EOE).