Job type: Contract
Date posted: 07-07-2016
Duration: 3 Years
A leading operator in Qatar require an experienced Head of Materials & Corrosion Engineering for this 3 year contract. Please read the full job description before applying. MUST HAVE OFFSHORE PROJECT EXPERIENCE.
Head of Material & Corrosion Engineering
Primary Purpose of the Job
To lead and be responsible for the material & corrosion engineering technical input into the design, fabrication, construction, testing, installation and commissioning of the offshore facilities of the project, with focus on the successful execution of the project on time, within budget and in accordance with the agreed project requirements, specifications and standards.
- Accountable for the technical integrity of the engineering and design activities within the material & corrosion engineering discipline and for ensuring that safe, cost-efficient and on-time material & corrosion engineering design is developed for the project.
- Be responsible for and provide direction to the technical services in the material & corrosion engineering elements of the project scope, with special attention to the Design Basis, FEED and EPIC scope preparation and execution, design/ safety/operations reviews, procurement of equipment & materials, factory acceptance test, vendor selection, and timely resolution of technical and engineering issues, in coordination with Manager Facilities (Phase 1 / 2) / Engineering Manager, other Head Discipline Engineers and relevant stakeholders.
- Be the project's technical expert in the material & corrosion engineering discipline and be the final technical approval authority for deviations and derogations against project specification and material & corrosion engineering technical standards.
- Lead the material & corrosion engineering team in developing design scope and ensure that all related deliverables are in compliance with the applicable codes, standards, Project and Corporate requirements and procedures.
- Coordinate and align the material & corrosion engineering interfaces between the project phases and direct the Contractors design efforts accordingly taking into account safety, start-up, cost and constructability impacts.
- Establish professional work relationships with FEED and EPIC Contractor, represents company interest and direct Contractors with any technical queries and interpretation of scope, specifications and standards.
- Maintain an overview of the project material & corrosion engineering capability and highlight to Engineering Manager any critical resourcing issues.
- Provide technical guidance and prepare the material & corrosion engineering specific elements for the FEED and EPIC tender, procurement activities, technical bid evaluation, technical queries raised by Contractors.
- Participate in Technical bid evaluation and provide necessary guidance in selecting the FEED and EPIC Contractors.
- Lead the selection of suitable equipment & materials, field devices, and other material & corrosion engineering specific systems as per design, evaluate options and select best techno-economic solutions for project facilities.
- Endorse the material & corrosion engineering design calculation reports, system studies, design philosophies, software model input and output, drawings, data bases, specifications and vendor data.
- Provide technical guidance during FEED, detailed engineering, procurement, fabrication, testing, installation, commissioning/start-up stages of the project and monitor the implementation of QA/QC processes, in order to achieve deliverables and facilities that meet project requirements.
- Ensure that design integrity is maintained throughout fabrication through correct handling of site queries and proper application of QA/QC processes.
- Provide guidance and support to conduct Safety and Design Reviews in coordination with Manager Facilities I Engineering Manager, other Head Discipline Engineers and the Loss Prevention Engineers.
- Supervise team members and support the development of Qatari Nationals by ensuring that they receive proper job training and development.
Decision Making Authority
- Planning, execution and decisions for the material & corrosion engineering design activities on time and within budget, and as per agreed project requirements and specifications.
- Responsible for complex technical solutions during the execution of the project.
- Operate within the framework of established company policies and departmental procedures, guided by engineering codes, standard practices and procedures. Work accomplishments are not subject to third-party checks. The work is occasionally overviewed by the Engineering Manager.
Context / Special Features /Challenges
- Exposed, for extended periods of time, to assignment overseas.
- Exposed to different cultures, backgrounds and environments. Need to attend to and resolve conflicts, challenges and problems related to a large multi-cultural and multi-discipline technical workforce.
- Exposed to offshore work environments during construction, installation, hook-up, commissioning, start-up and handover.
- Activities executed with the highest required level of confidentiality.
Qualifications /Knowledge / Skills / Experience
- NA. in Material/Corrosion Engineering from a recognised University, higher degree would be advantageous.
- Membership of a recognised professional engineering association (or institution) is preferable.
- A minimum of 15 years' experience in material & corrosion engineering design in Oil & Gas Industry with an Oil & Gas Company or Consultant/Contractor, of which at least 10 years should have been in offshore Oil & Gas processing projects.
- Of the 15 years' experience, a minimum of 8 years should have been as a Senior Material & Corrosion Engineer in a major project and a minimum of 5 years as Lead Material & Corrosion Engineer in design of major projects in a reputable engineering consultant, EPIC Contractors or O&G Company.
- Fully familiar with Shell DEP's and other international design codes and standards.
- Fully familiar with material & corrosion engineering discipline software and design review.
- Familiar with all types of FEED and EPIC deliverables, equipment, design and construction progress reviews.
- Proven ability to manage material & corrosion Engineering team in a major project environment.
- Fundamental knowledge to level of "proficient" or preferably level of "mastery" in Mechanical Engineering with added strength in the other disciplines to level of "developed".
- Strong technical, planning, communication, reporting and leadership skills.