Why Choose AECOM?
AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees - including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals - serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine's annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World's Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients' projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at NA.
About the Business Line
We provide professional services in areas such as aviation, transit, freight rail, highways and bridges, planning, and ports and marine. Our global network of top-tier specialists delivers comprehensive services over the full life cycle of a project to benefit clients in government and private industries.
The Design Engineer - Land Works- Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing is part of the Design Management group and focuses on the land works sector of the programme.
The Design Engineer - Land Works- Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing assists in management / overview of the Land Works Consultant's or Design-Build Contractor's Infrastructure design; coordinates the work of design reviewers; assists with tender preparation and evaluation for the related Design-Build contracts; oversees the work of designers of MEP Works.
The Design Engineer - Land Works- Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing reports to the Design Manager or his delegate.
Duties & Responsibilities
- The Design Engineer - Land Works- Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing (DE-MEP) is responsible for:
- Reporting to the Design Manager regarding the overall progress of the design and issues and opportunities related to design.
- Assisting with tendering for land works design-build contracts. Some or all of the works may be tendered as design-build (FIDIC Yellow Book) contracts. Specifically, the DE-MEP assists the commercial/contracts team with preparation of tender documents and evaluation of tenders from technical design and construction viewpoints.
- Managing the services consultant and/or contractors' designers under Design-Build contracts in accordance with their contracts with the Employer.
- Coordinating the work of design reviewers from within AECOM and from Employer/stakeholder organisations. Specifically, the DE-MEP distributes the documents to appropriate parties, obtains comments from the reviewers, vets comments for appropriateness and clarity, and routes the comments back to the designer. The scope of the AECOM design reviews and audits consists of checks that the Employer's mandatory requirements have been incorporated, that the documents have been checked according to the Consultant's or Contractor's approved Quality system, and by the ICE where required.
- Reviewing project agreements/contracts/sub contracts and understanding the design services requirements and AECOM's role as the Project Management Consultant (PMC).
- Supporting the Design Engineer-Buildings with regard to MEP aspects of the building works. Working as a team with the DE-Buildings and DE-Civil.
- Assisting the PMC Interface Manager to ensure that design and construction interfaces between the infrastructure packages and the marine works and buildings packages are properly addressed.
- Assisting the Interface Manager with regard to any issues with incoming utility supplies.
- Confirming that safety in design processes are implemented in all design services.
- Leading design constructability assessments and value engineering assessments.
- The DE-MEP also supports the project controls team and commercial team in the following services:
- Baseline, current and forecast schedule position
- Document control and information management
- Risk analysis both quantitative and qualitative including schedule and cost probability analysis
- Preparing reports for use by project-level and senior management
- Change and variation control
- Schedule Delay analysis
- Defining complex project changes.
Specific skills require
- Design of infrastructure (utility networks) and building services
- Design consultancy or design-build contract administration
- Value engineering workshop facilitation skills
- Design constructability workshop facilitation skills
- Risk identification, assessment and mitigation skills
- Implementation of Safety in Design procedures
- Focused on client delivery - attention to detail and quality with a capacity to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Empathy towards staff and colleagues - collaborative management style
- Eligibility to work in Ghana due to nationality is required.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in MEP works engineering design & construction environment
- Minimum 5 years of experience on major infrastructure programme during construction phase
- Minimum 10 years of experience in civil infrastructure industry
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the employ of an engineering consulting firm
- Experience in design of container terminals or major industrial infrastructure is an advantage
- Experience in the employ of a construction contractor is an advantage
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical / Electrical Engineering
- Member of professional organisation - Mechanical / Electrical Engineering
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.