No, this isn't one of those ordinary jobs. |
Cummins is a team of dependable, innovative thinkers, who are empowered to generate and deliver solutions for customers, community and environment. Our employees develop their careers through the challenges only a diverse, global innovator can promise. This is a collaborative culture where thinking beyond your desk is more than part of the job. It is the job.
This is what we call Working Right.
Our Corporate business unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you'll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Columbus, IN the Enterprise Architecture area.
Thinking beyond your desk includes:
- Responsible for assessing, defining and championing the IT architecture strategies, principles, policies and standards in alignment with the IT strategy and governing their use; coordinates with project teams to create, document, assess and/or validate the application and infrastructure solution designs for specific systems.
- Responsible for the research, evaluation, and selection of application, technology, and infrastructure standards.
- Leads the analysis of the technology environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement.
- Creates project and technology roadmaps and define migration plans to mitigate the gaps between the current and future state.
- Develops standards for the specific function or technology domain and defines design patterns and configurations that can be reused as building blocks for other solutions.
- Leads and facilitates the creation of governing principles to manage change and guide solution decisions for the enterprise.
- Ensures coherence and completeness across all Cummins Technology Reference Model (CTRM) disciplines.
- Maintains positive relationships with IT and business leaders to effectively promote and communicate IT architecture value proposition.
- Collaborates with IT stakeholders to apply IT strategy to architecture future state architecture and develops roadmaps to realize future state.
- Defines and ensures effective metrics to measure standards adoption, reuse, and demonstrate value.
- Maintain knowledge of emerging technology and software trends focused on driving comparative advantage for CMI.
- Cultivates strong relationships with industry experts; participates and may present at conferences and round tables.
- Performs complex cost/benefit analysis when researching future state capabilities.
Coaches and mentors less senior Architects.
- Collaborates with project teams to understand requested capabilities and recommends the right set of technologies to meet the needs.
- Provides infrastructure capacity recommendations for new applications and systems.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
- Lifecycle Management - The management of an IT Asset or component from inception throughout its useful life. The Planning phase decides to Replace or add new, Re-engineer, Retire, or Retain/Maintain it.
- Solution Design The activities involved in conceptualizing, defining, architecting, and ultimately designing complex systems.
- Appling Standards to Solutions - Able to apply industry and internal IT standards to solutions and to assess compliance of a solution against industry and internal IT standards.
- System Development Methodologies - Able to apply industry defined development techniques to create or modify IT solutions.
- Research - Able to conduct a process of steps used to collect and analyze information to increase our understanding of a topic or issue.
- Modeling - The ability to represent information following a defined standard, using a combination of graphical and textual elements. The ability to choose the correct type of model for a particular set of information, depending on the type of information to be communicated as well as the audience who will consume the information.
- Relationship Management - Creates relationships with new acquaintances quickly and confidently; works to build trust and partner with stakeholders; successfully manages both internal and external relationships (e.g., vendor relationships); is comfortable in a challenger role that, at times, requires building constructive tension in interactions.
- Influence - Applies different approaches to convince others to change their opinion or plan, and wins support from others for ideas; is able to build support with peers without direct lines of reporting across a matrix organization.
- Decision Making - Considers the relative benefits and costs of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one; acts decisively and swiftly; identifies problems and drives toward solutions; takes on responsible roles and accountability for outcomes even when things go wrong; is comfortable making difficult decisions.
College, university, or equivalent degree in Information Technology, Business or a related subject required.
Our ideal candidate would have these skills and professional experience:
5-7 years of experience.
- Understand, advocate and augment the principles of business and IT - and more specifically Enterprise Technology Architect (EA) - strategies.
- Analyze enterprise business context (trends and business strategy) to derive technical architecture.
- Analyze the current technology environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement.
- Technology Strategy: Support Business Units by delivering Roadmaps, Vision, Industry Trends, Enterprise Technology Strategy & Reference Architectures
- Analyze technology industry and market trends, and determine their potential impact on the enterprise.
- "Sell" the Enterprise Technology Architect process, its outcome and ongoing results.
- Define the principles that guide technology decisions for the enterprise
- Assessments & Health Checks: Design and lead the implementation of an ETA based on business requirements and IT strategies, as well as to rectify gaps and pain points within the current state.
- Assist with designing the governance activities associated with ensuring ETA compliance.
- Annual Planning: Support Chief Architect for Technology Capability planning and deliver recommendations.
- Technology Portfolio and Life Cycle management: Lead and Deliver Architecture Views and Strategy through Technology Lifecycle Deliverables
- Technology Portfolio and Life Cycle management: Create and Manage Standards, Capability Readiness, Exception Management / Risk management
- Communication Management: Collaborate with CBS-IT and BU Leadership through Monthly Technology Status updates
- Oversee or consult on technical architecture (for example, systems) implementation and modification activities (for example, projects), particularly for new and/or shared infrastructure solutions.
- Oversee and facilitate the evaluation and selection of hardware and software technology and product standards, as well as the design of standard configurations.
- Consult on application or infrastructure development projects to fit systems or infrastructure to the technical architecture, and identify when it is necessary to modify the technical architecture to accommodate project needs.
- Identify the organizational impact (for example, on skills, processes, structures and culture) and financial impact of the ETA.
- Document necessary technical architecture design and analysis work, possibly including project postmortem documentation and metric collection.
- Demand management of Enterprise Architect resources
- Assignment of Enterprise Architects to projects/solutions
- Career management of Enterprise Architects
- Sourcing additional resources for the Enterprise Architect team
- Ensures comprehensive and complete work practices and processes are in place and effective
- Responsible and accountable for assisting with communications and marketing efforts for the Enterprise Architecture Mgmt, as well as EA overall.
- Developing customized training plans for Enterprise Architects
Skills and Credentials:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, systems analysis or a related study, or equivalent experience.
- Seven to 10 years of experience in at least two IT disciplines in a client/server or service-oriented architecture (SOA) environment, including technical architecture, network design, application development, middleware, servers and storage, database management, and operations.
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technical configurations, technologies and processing environments.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills in areas such as teamwork, facilitation and negotiation.
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent analytical and technical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Knowledge of all components of a technical architecture
- Knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processes
- Basic knowledge of financial models and budgeting
- Understanding of network architecture
- Understanding of the political climate of the enterprise, and how to navigate the political waters.
- Ability to understand the long-term ("big picture") and short-term perspectives of situations.
- Ability to estimate the financial impact of technical architecture alternatives
- Ability to apply multiple technical solutions to business problems
- Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies.
- Remains unbiased toward any specific vendor or technology choice; is more interested in results than personal preferences
Compensation. Base salary commensurate with experience plus bonus. Benefits. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify:
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law.
Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity and start your career with Cummins today.
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: company website