Team Lead, Infrastructure Services|
Civil and Geotechnical Engineering
Advisian, WorleyParsons Group
Advisian is the independent consulting business line of WorleyParsons with more than 3,000 people in 19 countries. We provide solutions for clients in the Hydrocarbons, Minerals & Metals, Chemicals and Infrastructure industries. We have combined the deep technical consulting capabilities of WorleyParsons Consulting, Select and INTECSEA with our existing strategy and management consulting expertise. As part of the world's largest engineering firm, we continue to push boundaries and extend our capabilities globally. WorleyParsons is a company that prides itself on providing safe and high-quality services that exceed our customer's expectations, which is why we manage some of the world's leading projects. Our aim is to recruit, develop, and most importantly, retain the people who share our vision and strategy.
The Civil and Geotechnical Engineering Department in our Americas Central region, consisting of Alberta and Saskatchewan, comprises 65 engineering professionals with a broad range of technical skills and experience. Currently these professionals are engaged on a number of challenging technical projects. Specifically the Infrastructure Services team within the Geotechnical Department supports our Clients across North and South America focusing on large scale and complex infrastructure projects. Current projects being executed by this team include large diameter pipeline, LNG, industrial processing plant and oil sands developments.
Advisian's Civil and Geotechnical Engineering Department forms an important part of Advisian America's Geoscience practice which comprises over one hundred geotechnical, geological and geophysical professionals throughout North, Central and South America. Combined these professionals execute projects of varying size and complexity across the Americas and internationally. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to act in a leadership role for a wide array of geosciences projects, and work collaboratively with multiple technical and advisory disciplines.
The Infrastructure Services Team Lead is a full-time position located within the Advisian Central Operations. This position can be located in either our Calgary or Edmonton, AB offices.
Our Civil and Geotechnical Engineering Department seeks someone with strong leadership, communication, and business development skills and who is eager to help lead and grow a group of dynamic professionals.
Overall Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities:
- Responsible to support the development and implementation of departmental strategies that are consistent with the divisional and regional business unit plans.
- Prepare team budgets, reports and forecasts and present to department management as required.
- Responsible for the Performance Management (technical and core competency development) of direct reports.
- Ensure Infrastructure Services team chargeability and Key Performance Indicator (KPI) targets are being met.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to direct reports and identify career development opportunities for direct reports.
- Monitor and advise the department manager of the state of team/discipline systems to ensure that Advisian remains competitive and up to date.
- Participate actively and effectively in business development (presentations, negotiations, proposal preparation/writing etc.)
- Maintain a succession plan, via Talent Assessment Planning, for the team and identify 'high potential' direct reports.
- Develop and maintain the training plan for direct reports and provide training opportunities within the parameters provided by the Department/Location.
- Responsible for identifying Infrastructure Services team recruitment needs.
- Coordinate with the Department Manager and other Team Leads to ensure staffing levels are adequate for project needs.
- Ensure that Infrastructure Services team staff follow corporate and department safety, quality, business development, engineering, etc. procedures and processes.
- Allocate and assign Infrastructure Services team staff to projects.
- Review team estimates and schedules to be included in proposals.
- Responsible for providing salary recommendations for direct reports.
- Responsible for growing the Infrastructure Services team in accordance with your KPI's and consistent with Location strategies and plans.
- Monitor project execution with respect to the discipline technical and quality standards, and ensure project budgets and schedules are met for those projects being executed by the Infrastructure Services team.
- Ensure direct reports maintain the minimal HSE training requirements of the WorleyParsons HSE Management Plan.
- Promote a culture of zero harm within the team and associated business.
- Ensure quality and consistency in Infrastructure Services team deliverables on projects.
- Providing project management and geotechnical engineering knowledge on projects and pursuits, including geological site reconnaissance, geotechnical site characterization (including overburden drilling and rock coring), geotechnical analysis (including slope stability, seepage, dynamic responses, trenchability, ground improvement, deep foundations, etc.), laboratory analysis, geotechnical engineering design, geotechnical owner's engineering and geotechnical QA/QC inspection, testing and reporting.
- Report and proposal preparation, attend and lead client meetings, and deliver client and industry facing project overviews and presentations.
- Work as part of an integrated delivery team within our project, comprising of other engineering disciplines, professional environmental scientists, project delivery and project support staff on existing and new Advisian/WorleyParsons projects.
Advisian (part of the WorleyParsons group) offers an excellent remuneration & benefits package, a friendly, professional, dynamic and flexible work environment along with the opportunity to develop your career prospects within Canada and overseas.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree from an accredited institution plus appropriate continuing education in civil/geotechnical engineering, or equivalent;
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (NA.) with APEGA.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (P.E.) within the continental Unites States of America is considered as asset.
- A minimum of 8-12 years of related experience practicing civil and/or geotechnical, engineering on large scale projects.
- Professional experience in industries such as upstream/downstream oil and gas, industrial development, and mining, oil sands developments, tailings management, linear development (including road, rail, power, and pipeline);
- Familiarity with large industrial site selection and development, trenchless feasibility and design, and/or major site investigation and field trails planning an asset.
- Northern climate engineering skills and experience is considered an asset.
- Ability to present technical information, both written and verbally, in a concise and professional manner;
- A demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated history of effective client engagement, relationships and management.
- Experience in preparing proposals and developing engineering and capital cost estimates.
- Strong level of commercial acumen, including financial statement reviews, cash collection, workshare, change management and contract review and management.
- Working knowledge of industry standard business support systems, i.e. project planning packages, cost management systems, ISO9001 quality management systems is considered an asset.
- Self-starter, flexible team player, willing and able to work on a wide variety of tasks and to coordinate staff;
- Supervisory, project management and project commercial management experience an asset; and
- Demonstrated capability to conduct and supervise geotechnical engineering through field investigations to design, and train, mentor and develop junior and intermediate staff.
We strive to be an industry leader in health, safety and environmental performance. Our vision is to achieve zero harm to people and assets, and zero environmental incidents. We select people who share our values, beliefs and commitment to this vision and who demonstrate the expected behaviors, competencies and performance associated with their prospective roles within the company.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Advisian (part of the WorleyParsons group) is an equal opportunity employer.