|Job Ref:||EMP371020||Employer:||Matchtech Group plc.||Industry:||Automotive||Country:||United Kingdom||City:||Gaydon||Address:||Salary:||£35,000 - £37,000/year||Post Date:||14/10/2016 21:33|
Opportunity for a Body Development Engineer to join a Midlands Based OEM on a permanent basis.|
Experience in engineering problem solving (for example body components, structures and systems)
To support the body engineering PMSTs and PATs in the generation of detailed component and system level engineering targets.
To support body engineering PMSTs and CAE with Body structure related development and testing.
To execute body engineering development & testing particularly for durability and craftsmanship.
To provide proactive, creative and practical problem solving to advance the development of body engineering designs.
To perform early failure mode detection through the creation and testing of bucks, sub-assemblies and prototype parts.
To create, critique, and execute test plans to ensure design verification and reporting is performed in the most effective and efficient manner.
To create & update Design Verification Planning across Body Engineering Systems and vehicle programs.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks:
• Organise in-source & out-source testing (liaise with suppliers, organise & follow-up component
procurement, organise test planning & manage test method specification)
• Support/Execute component, system & vehicle tests
• Support/Execute Body structure related development and testing (body torsion, Body In White fixings,
• Communicate/Present test results & support technical reviews
• Participate in the engineering design from targets through development to production
• Write/Archive test reports & deviations
• Raise concerns where necessary and develop corrective solutions
• Attend PMST meetings & advise on upcoming changes
• Support Design reviews from target settings through development of production parts
• Generate new concept ideas
• Source / Fabricate pre-prototype parts
• Participate to benchmarking activities to support design & target setting
• Design & build test rigs
• Update current test methods, write new test methods
Qualifications & Experience:
• Body Engineering related degree (development, performance, production processes, joining technologies for car bodies), or equivalent.
• 1 to 2 years’ experience of hands on testing (body components, structures & systems)
• Experience in Automotive industry (experience within other engineering sectors will also be considered)
• Experience in Engineering problem resolving (for example body components, structures & systems)
• Pragmatic hands-on problem solving
• Data recording, analysis & report writing
• Good technical & manual skills (build of rigs, use of CAD drawings, GD&T)
• Good communication skills: Able to communicate ideas clearly & concisely
• Good physical condition required and Ability to manage multiple demands on time & priorities
• Capability of working under pressure, open-minded & lateral thinking
• Good spatial awareness & conceptual abilities
• Excellent analytical & systematic approach to problem solving
• Ability to take decisions that minimise engineering risk in a solution
• A successful candidate must be able to learn quickly and integrate into a successful and dynamic team, offering strong character attributes as well as the necessary knowledge and experience above. The best candidate will be open-minded and lateral thinking in the face of stiff timing and product targets.
• The successful candidate should be able to exhibit creative problem solving ability and commitment to meet stretch targets. The candidate must be proactive and trust their initiative with minimum supervision to produce practical solutions.
• Time Constraints:
Deadlines and timing plans based on new vehicle project timing. Particularly PS, PSC, PTC, FDJ and FEC gateways.
• Typical Problems / Complexities:
-Setting design verification timing to align with component submission
-Resolving conflicts of engineering performance targets versus costs, quality, timing and manufacturing feasibility. Ensuring vehicle programmes achieve legal compliance.
-Managing budget for external test houses, building bucks and rigs
• Valid driving licence
• This role will require regular travel to offsite testing facilities, including Sweden.
To apply for this position, candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK