An excellent opportunity has arisen for a Naval Technical Author for a leading marine defence client in Portsmouth. Morson is delighted to be recruiting for this opportunity. Ideally those with a background in the Navy would be suitable for the position|
Purpose of role
To produce Maintenance documentation to the required specification and customer requirement within the agreed budget and timescale using the appropriate application specified for a particular contract.
key responsibilities and competencies required
- Produce documentation in the form of Data Modules in accordance with S1000D or to the agreed customer requirements utilising source material made up of information from design drawings,
- Ship visits to capture/validate data.
- Provisioning, preparation, research, estimation, production and subsequent maintenance of technical support information which will be used to produce operational, instructional and maintenance documentation in support of MOD RN platforms.
- Validate OEM manuals prior to customer delivery. Ensure that the Technical Data and Documentation requirements are complete, coherent and consistent.
- Liaison with other engineering and support functions as required across the business. Support customer/supplier relationships in respect to Technical Data and Documentation Requirements.
- Key Technical Skills Broad and good understanding of MS Word, Adobe FrameMaker, Adobe Acrobat, Quicksilver and SGML.
- A mechanical/electrical/weapons engineering background preferably on Marine or RN projects. A good understanding and experience of naval systems and equipment.
- Detailed understanding of Technical Data and Documentation requirements and processes.
- Key Leadership/People Mgmt Skills Strong commitment and self motivation. Able to work as part of a team.
- Ability to liaise and communicate with customers and stakeholders Qualifications:
- Relevant job experience. HNC/HND (or equivalent) in an engineering discipline.
- Produce new or update Submarine Damage Control Headquarters documentation.
- Production of Marine Engineering Guides.
- Review and update handbooks to establish technical/safety deficiencies in accordance with supplied source information.
- Utilise databases to establish ship fit system and equipment configuration.
- Ensure published data is configuration controlled and audit trail is recorded and documented. Documentation produced is 'fit for purpose' and complies with governed business quality and production processes.
- Provide technical guidance to Illustrators regarding the creation of new or amended illustrations.
- A mechanical/electrical/weapons engineering background preferably on Marine or Royal Navy projects.
- Ex-service technician/maintainer (desirable)
If this position is of interest, please apply or contact Matthew Crook on /NA.