Why Choose AECOM?
AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees - including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals - serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine's annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World's Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients' projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at NA.
About the Business Line
We provide professional services in areas such as aviation, transit, freight rail, highways and bridges, planning, and ports and marine. Our global network of top-tier specialists delivers comprehensive services over the full life cycle of a project to benefit clients in government and private industries.
AECOM is actively seeking a creative, motivated and highly talented Senior Construction Inspector for Construction Engineering & Inspection (CEI) services in the South and West Texas area. The appropriately qualified applicant will be able to demonstrate an established career in performing construction engineering and inspection duties on highway and bridge construction projects. AECOM is proud to offer our employees with exciting, challenging projects. The selected candidate can look forward to projects including various assignments for the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and other local governmental agencies throughout Texas.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Work under the direction of the Project Manager
- Consult with Contractor's Superintendent on work progress and maintenance issues; review equipment utilization data and time/cost estimates
- Review drawings, specifications and contract requirements to understand/prepare for inspection, and to ensure good construction practices, clarity, and consistency
- Perform assignments to assist the Project Manager in the performance of their duties
- Inspect and monitor highway and bridge construction to include hot mix overlays to ensure compliance with safety, plans, specifications, and other contract requirements
- Inspect asphalt and concrete for acceptable materials and mix,
- Inspect pavement construction for proper placement, rolling, depth, alignment, and compaction
- Inspect structural materials and members, culverts, piling, beams, reinforcement, structural steel, concrete and backfill
- Review and monitor for acceptable traffic control setup, erosion control devices, and maintenance thereof, utility coordination/resolution and conformance to contract requirements
- Identify and report potential coordination, quality, safety, and environmental issues
- Perform a variety of calculations and computations
- Maintain thorough and accurate inspection records of construction to document compliance with contract requirements
- Review, prepare and process various reports associated with construction management duties: shop drawing submittals, change orders, field changes, RFI's, clarifications, pay estimates, force account documents, project diary, daily work reports, weekly and monthly progress reports, punch lists, project closeout
- Monitor construction records to ensure contractors comply with federal requirements regarding Equal Employment Opportunity, on-the-job training program, the Historically Underutilized Business and the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise programs
- Assist in project administration and weekly/monthly progress meetings with the Project Manager and Contractor
- Assist in review and reconciliation of construction schedules
- Assist in verification of completion of project milestones, punch lists, and contract closeout documents
- Review and recommend approval of complex shop drawings of bridge elements and other highway related structures to ensure compliance with plans and design requirements.
- Observe quality assurance testing and review test results for conformance with contract requirements
- Perform daily inspections and record daily diary for each project assigned
- Perform field measurements of pay items and verify quantities for Contractor's monthly pay estimate
- Verify "As Built" information is recorded and accurate
- Serve as a project leader for a large project or several small projects and/or lead inspector to supervise/train other inspectors
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
Extensive knowledge of:
- High school diploma
- Due to the nature of this work, 15 years of highway & bridge construction inspection and/or testing experience on TxDOT, city or federal aid projects required
- Valid Texas Class C driver's license
Technical Skill/Ability to:
- Pavement resurfacing, rehabilitation/repair/reconstruction of asphalt and concrete pavement, bridge construction/repair
- Inspection methods, procedures, and techniques
- Materials, methods, and equipment used in highway construction
- The Texas Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (TMUTCD)
- TxDOT's SiteManager to document construction project inspection and payment records
- Mathematical functions including geometry and trigonometry
- Applicable plans, specifications and estimates preparation, review, processing and compliance requirements
- Construction record auditing
- Applicable safety standards, guidelines, and requirements
- Apply engineering principles, practices, and methods in job responsibilities
- Read and interpret construction plans, contract specifications/requirements and inspection procedures
- Perform basic mathematical calculations and follow senior inspector's basic technical instructions
- Provide clear verbal and written communication in English; basic knowledge of Spanish is desirable
- Work with minimal supervision
- Maintain safe/effective working relationships with individuals and groups under various conditions
- Analyze issues, facts and information to develop solutions; research inconsistencies of data; draw correct inferences and make recommendations to support decisions.
- Use various personal computer programs and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Understand engineering, surveying, and construction terminology, practices, & procedures
- Plan, coordinate and handle multiple projects concurrently
- Move up to 50 pounds and occasionally move up to 100 pounds
- Work in cramped spaces (bend, stoop, and crawl) and at varied heights
- Work hours other than 8 to 5, and weekends and/or night shifts
- Work under exposure to inclement weather conditions
Conditions of Employment:
(1) Must pass a substance abuse test prior to employment. (2) Successful completion of a criminal background check to include verification of identification and residency. (3) satisfactory driver's record check. (4) Successful completion of a physical exam. (5)Must provide documentation within 3 days of hire date that establish identity and employment eligibility.
- Appropriate training/certification(s) from TxDOT (stormwater erosion control, work zone traffic control, etc.) or equivalent
- American Concrete Institute (ACI) certification- Grade 1 (Concrete Field Testing Technician)
- Texas Asphalt Pavement Association (TxAPA) certification- Level 1B (Roadway Specialist)
- OSHA 10 hour certification
- Considerable knowledge and experience with TxDOT construction procedures, including the Construction Contract Administration Manual
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow.
AECOM is an equal opportunity employer and Minorities, Females, Veterans, and Disabled persons are encouraged to apply. For further information, please click here to view the EEO Is The Law poster.