Why Choose AECOM?
AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees - including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals - serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine's annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World's Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients' projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at NA.
About the Business Line
AECOM Shared Services
We support our employees globally by coordinating and managing the day-to-day operations of General Accounting, Human Resources, Administration, Marketing and Information Technology. We pride ourselves on ensuring we deliver the best customer service possible to our people while building trust and relationships with all of our constituents.
The Public Affairs & Business Development Manager function is a critical part of AECOM's global growth strategy. This position will be part of our Africa corporate leadership team and responsible for growing the Public Relations/Government Sectors and state owned enterprises as well as providing business development leadership and direction in Africa. Responsibilities include developing new and maintaining existing client accounts and developing/coordinating large complex proposal/project activities. This position will be based in Centurion, South Africa and report to the Chief Executive.
- Identify and establish new clients, and maintain current client contacts and develop sales strategies. Strengthen current business ties; coordinate meetings between clients/potential clients, and technical, or other key individuals
- Responsible for delivering major program management contracts
- Keep abreast of overall business trends, particularly the current business climate. Conduct client and customer surveys to determine promising areas of development. Establish and maintain numerous contacts within and outside the industry. Follow up on all leads in a timely manner
- Develop and lead proposals for services in response to invitations to bid, and provide guidance to proposal team from inception to completion. Develop the pricing structure, as well as other contract terms and conditions
- Manage the business development pipeline in pursuit of opportunities in coordination with operations staff and regional offices
- Act as client sponsor during project execution
- Perform other responsibilities associated with this position as may be appropriate
Public Affairs / Business Development:
- Lead the development and execution of government relations strategies to generate growth opportunities, while mitigating downside issues, for AECOM's businesses in Africa
- Partner with our businesses and integrate into their planning processes to define what Public Affairs can do to help them execute their plans and improve financial performance
- Serve as primary liaison for AECOM with key African governments
- Build knowledge of and strong relationships with key bodies and individuals responsible for shaping legislation/regulation in key business interest areas for the Company
- Develop keen awareness of relevant legislation/regulation and its potential impact on AECOM; proactively work to achieve a favourable position for the company
- Understand how government's needs/priorities align with Company's capabilities
- Establish a clear process to ensure leadership teams are aware of impending changes in pertinent legislation/regulation and or government funding schemes
- Work with Company's business, senior management, customers and others to develop creative solutions that incorporate government relations into business problem solving
- Help the businesses, and secure government support (e.g. financial incentives), to evaluate and select the most advantageous locations to establish local presence that meets business goals
- Create and execute opportunities for AECOM's senior leaders to interact with key governmental officials in support of the company's agenda
- Effectively manage and participate in relationships with consulting firms and associations in order to extend the reach and impact of the government relations function
- Enable other key Leaders to drive continuous improvement in the Public Affairs/Government Relations function
The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Outstanding leadership presence and communication skills, ability to inspire trust and quickly build credibility within the company and the industry at large
- Entrepreneurial characteristics, with the ability to work with minimal direction, a self-starter with the ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize tasks
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to engage audience and convey the rationale for decisions
- Team-oriented, with the ability to lead and motivate others through influence and respect. Places overall good of the organization first. High performer with low ego needs
- Strong sense of accountability, with a strong desire to commit, be held accountable, and be rewarded for delivering results
- Must possess the highest level of personal and professional integrity, and the values that inspire trust in the organization
- Energy, enthusiasm, commitment, courage, and entrepreneurial excitement. Must be able to generate enthusiasm for best in class performance through the clear personal passion to be the best in these areas
- A fresh, forward-looking approach and the willingness, strength of will, and vision to act as a change agent
- Ideally, 10 years of government relations experience with government, corporation and/or consulting focused on African legislative and regulatory arenas
- 10 plus years minimum professional experience with a proven track record of success in business development and/or selling large signature multi-million dollar projects
- Significant rolodex of decision making contacts in the government sector. Able to develop and cultivate client and customer relationships
- Understands business negotiations, and recognizes and acts upon opportunities to promote the client's expertise and successful past performance
- Capability of remaining hands-on throughout the entire sales lifecycle, from cultivating the relationship, developing the political strategy and driving the development of the project up and including delivering the proposal
- Significant experience in a senior business development role in the engineering and construction management environment
- Willing and able to travel as required to meet with clients, customers and other business travel needs as required
- A four-year degree in Engineering is required.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.