Why Choose AECOM?
AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees - including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals - serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine's annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World's Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients' projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at NA.
About the Business Line
We provide professional services in areas such as aviation, transit, freight rail, highways and bridges, planning, and ports and marine. Our global network of top-tier specialists delivers comprehensive services over the full life cycle of a project to benefit clients in government and private industries.
AECOM is currently seeking a Western Canada Business Unit Leader. This position will be based out of Western Canada and will be responsible for the success and growth of our Transportation business unit. The incumbent should be located in any of the following locations: Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg. The Transportation lead will be responsible for all practice areas of structural, civil, electrical and mechanical engineering within a professional services environment.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
Consistently demonstrate AECOM competencies:
- Plans and directs all practices contained in the business line within the area
- The acquisition, management, leadership and development of a team of technical professionals specific to the Transportation Business Line
- A member of the Area Leadership Team, focused on optimizing the overall performance of the area
- Assigns staff to projects and ensures, directly and through subordinates, that technical work is completed in accordance with contract scope of work and budget, and to company, professional, quality, and legislative standards while ensuring the utmost safety of our staff
- Responsible for regular project progress reports to the Area Manager
- Demonstrates creativity, foresight and mature judgment in anticipating and solving both routine and unusual project delivery, technical and client challenges, determining technical objectives and requirements, organizing programs and projects, and developing standards and guides for technical activities and applications
- Acts as an advisor to clients and other departments on technical practice and business line issues
- Stays abreast of industry standards and approaches, and implements best practices
- Responsible for managing and developing employees in accordance with AECOM core values and performance management competencies, including managing talent and proactively supporting the performance management process
- Reinforces collaboration and team building, ensures client focus, demonstrates commitment to excellence and innovation, and motivates others to ensure positive morale and engagement
- Ensures that AECOM programs such as Sustainability, Safety for Life Program, Corporate Social Responsibility, and Ethics & Compliance are an overriding part of the organizational culture
Key Performance Indicators:
- Manages execution - achieves operational and project/program goals by assigning clear accountability and authority, promotes collaboration across the operation, removes barriers that impede execution, consistently delivers the plan
- Unflinching client focus - passionate about solving client's problems and exploring new opportunities with them, supports market-focused solutions
- Builds high performance organizations - aligns the operation and allocates resources according to strategic priorities, recognizes and unleashes the potential of others by providing the needed environment, resources, coaching, experiences and other support, champions an innovative culture, embeds a collaborative culture
- Aligns resources, systems and processes - builds a strong team, allocates resources according to strategic priorities, leverages efficiencies and synergies across the operation, maximizes infrastructure to achieve key performance indicators
- Demonstrates business acumen - innovative thinking, integrates world-class business practices across the organization, promotes collaboration and removes obstacles to teamwork, demonstrates cross-cultural business savvy. The successful leader will communicate with impact, is a strategic thinker, leverages networks, ensures industry leadership, and is a champion of change
- Quality, project performance and margins, scope/budget compliance, cash collection, utilization, employee acquisition/development/engagement/retention, technical training provided, SHE, client satisfaction
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- 15 years' experience in a consulting, or engineering management company
- Reputation as a high performer, having worked in collaboration with senior level management teams to achieve substantial growth with profitability
- Financial and people management experience in the consulting environment
- Prior leadership experience of an engineering consulting or engineering Management Company
- Significant experience and client relationships in the market sector areas associated with our Transportation practice
- Leadership and business development experience, proven ability cultivating relationships and growing business
- Solid operational skills and experience
- Master's degree in related field
- P and L management experience
- Public sector experience
- Preference given to candidates who are recognized leaders in the marketplace
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.