Air Emissions Specialist – Dilley, Texas
Main Purpose of Role: Performs a variety of professional and technical tasks in support of air quality management and pollution control. Activities involve inspections and approval of air pollution control equipment, review and approval of permit applications, and enforcement of air pollution control regulations. Responds to complaints; provides information to the public and industry on pollution control. Performs research and analysis, participates in studies and projects, and provides information to industry and the public regarding pollution control compliance methods and devices. Promotes a positive image of Air Quality to the general public.
Air Quality Specialist II – This is the journey level class within the Air Quality Specialist series. Employees in this class perform the full range of duties including handling the more complex job functions associated with the classification. Employees at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance when new or unusual situations arise, and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit. This classification is distinguished from the Senior Air Quality Specialist class in that the latter performs highly specialized functions and/or serves as a working team leader.
Penspen is also interested in interviewing Air Quality Specialist I – This is the entry level classification in the Air Quality Specialist professional series.
- Performs responsible professional and/or technical support activities related to one or more major departmental operations.
- Reviews construction, stationary source and other applications for compliance with applicable air pollution control requirements; locates and contacts un-permitted sources; researches and evaluates for possible permit; performs routine on-site compliance inspections.
- Evaluates emission rates from various sources through mathematical calculations; reviews and evaluates performance tests for applicability; verifies compliance with federal and local regulations.
- Participates in the development of air pollution control rules, including researching and analyzing air quality issues, air pollutant emissions, emission control technology, economics, implementation issues and regulatory considerations.
- Prepares technical support documents, variances, public notices, and various required reports. Maintains emission inventories and prepares AIRS reports for submittal to EPA and other agencies.
- Performs initial and random site inspections to ensure air pollution control standards are being achieved; investigates reported violations or questionable practices; documents violations utilizing appropriate methods and techniques; submits compliance data to the U.S. EPA.
- Performs a variety of job functions related to air pollution control necessary for the efficient and effective operation of the department, including a variety of planning activities, assisting in the development of procedures and other air quality standards, development and maintenance of computer applications and technology related to air quality management, development and conduct of presentations, and other professional activity necessary to assure the integrity of the program.
- Uses standard office equipment including a computer, in the course of the work. Attends meetings and other departmental functions. Performs special assignments and projects.
- Mobility to work in a typical office setting, use standard office equipment and to drive a motor vehicle in order to visit various job sites; strength and stamina to conduct various investigations at commercial and residential sites; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone.
- May involve significant walking, climbing, stooping, light lifting and performing functions in confined areas. Accommodation may be made for some of these physical demands for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodation.
Qualifications / Knowledge / Experience :
Air Quality Specialist I
- Equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in environmental, chemical, mechanical or civil engineering, biology, chemistry, physics or a related field.
- Ability to learn and explain air pollution control policies and procedures; pertinent Federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations; determine compliance of plans, specifications, equipment and operating practices with applicable air quality control regulations; and to research and report on technical documents.
- Capable of speaking in public and providing legal testimony.
- Skill in operating a 35 millimeter camera with accuracy and precision; maintaining accurate records; preparing clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, including officials and the general public; speaking English effectively to communicate in person or over the telephone; dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
Air Quality Specialist II
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Operational characteristics of technical equipment and tools used in the air quality monitoring industry.
- Advanced mathematical principles and techniques. Occupational hazards and standard safety practices necessary in the area of work assigned.
- Advanced engineering and science principles. Thorough knowledge of micro-computer programming methods and practices used in air quality management.
- Apply, interpret and explain air pollution control policies, procedures and relevant laws and regulations.
- Investigating various complaints and violations in a timely and effective manner; solving complex problems independent; speaking in public; providing assistance to other air quality staff with various problems and activities; using initiative and independent judgment within established procedures and guidelines, contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Achieves Superior Performance – Has a commercial and sustainable mind-set to deliver results on time, on budget and to a high quality, ensuring that all activities adhere to safety standards, add value and contribute to growth for the Penspen Group business.
- Delivers with Focus – Takes initiative to anticipate challenge and ensure performance is delivered with energy and perseverance, taking responsibility and accountability to respond flexibly and ensure quality outcomes.
- Exceeds Client Expectations – Expends effort to ensure maximum internal and external client satisfaction, through building excellent stakeholder relationships and striving to exceed client expectations through the delivery of quality products and services.