|Job Ref:||EMP370625||Employer:||Matchtech Group plc.||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Essex||Address:||Salary:||£60,000 - £65,000/year||Post Date:||14/10/2016 21:32|
Reporting to the Contract Director, the role involves the project management of developer funded highway schemes, residential vehicle crossings and works progressed through the Eastern Highways Alliance. (Third Party Works) It is imperative that the External Construction manager and his teams work closely with the major projects and development management design teams to ensure works are constructed in line with the relevant standards. A high level of technical knowledge and experience is required to manage complex projects and to provide technical support and mentoring staff. You should possess excellent communication skills and promote works in line with the contracts integrated delivery model. |
Delivery of all externally funded highways works
The post is responsible for the delivery of developer funded highway schemes, residential vehicle crossings and major projects procured through the Eastern Highways Alliance. The post will ensure that new developments which involve highway infrastructure are constructed in accordance with the Development Construction Manual and other relevant specifications.
• To ensure that all developments in Essex are inspected as appropriate to allow the adoption of roads that meet the approved drawings and specification by coordinating the workload of the Inspectors across the County, adjusting resources where necessary
• To undertake construction inspections on all residential vehicle crossings ensuring that they meet the specification outlined in the Highways Practice Note on Vehicle Crossings.
• To introduce consistent working practices across the Development Management Inspection team and introduce/ provide a training programme for all Development Management Inspectors
• Ensure each project delivered through the Eastern Highways Alliance is suitably resourced in line with contract procedures.
• Work with contract procurement to assist with appointment and performance evaluation of key supply chain partners involved with works delivery.
• Maintain close links with the Street Lighting and Maintenance Team to ensure that all adopted works meet the policies and specifications of these teams. Ensuring that all Development Management Inspectors are competent to undertake basic street lighting checks
• To be the Lead Officer in Development Management on CDM Regulations ensuring that developers are clear on their obligations by providing guidance and advice where necessary. To ensure that adopted works have complete Health and Safety files, assisting officers to check contents on larger schemes
• To undertake project technical checks to ensure compliance with Ringway Jacobs quality management systems such as the Major Schemes Construction support procedure and relevant specifications such as the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges etc. Ensuring that all work meets the requirement of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 and other construction/H&S related law
• To ensure that all works on the Public Highway comply with the requirements of the Traffic Management Act 2004 and the New Road and Street Works Act 1991. Keep abreast of changes in procedures and processes in this area of work
• To ensure that all Public Rights of Way affected by development are protected and the correct legal processes are in place to divert rights of way. Ensure that Development Management Inspectors are clear of their role in this specialist area
• Work with design teams to provide a technical advice service to ensure that any scheme discussed at feasibility stage can be delivered on the ground and has design for maintenance considerations built in as part of the scheme review.
• To assist in maintaining a comprehensive record keeping system to provide full information to colleagues in the future who are maintaining or improving the highway network
• To participate fully in meetings with other development management service delivery teams across the County to share experience, develop, review and document best practices and ensure consistency of approach wherever possible
• To establish and maintain partnership relationships especially with stakeholders such as Environment Agency, Anglian Water, Statutory Undertakers and District Councils ad our key customer base.
• Assist with the use of systems and data for collating and reporting relevant performance and management information and record keeping systems
• Understands the overall functions, aims and directions of Essex Highways and how their specific area of responsibility fits into those objectives.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• 20 years’ experience working in the highways construction industry with at least 5 years at senior management level.
• Membership of an appropriate institution and/or evidence of significant previous experience
• New Road and Streets Works Accreditation
• NEBOSH construction certificate (
• Able to demonstrate experience of conducting Health and Safety site inspection/audits with a specific understanding of the current CDM regulations.
• Knowledge of, and experience in, the construction of major development proposals including statutory processes involved with these activities.
• Demonstrable knowledge of national guidance, legislation and regulations relating to design and implementation of highway schemes
• Experience of advising elected Members and other stakeholders
• Understanding of the structure of local government and the role of elected Members
• Degree level or equivalent high level qualification in related subject or proven experience
• Report writing, preparation of business plans and presentations to a variety of audiences
• Excellent written, oral and presentational communication skills, interpersonal and listening skills
• A proven track record and formal record demonstrating excellent negotiation skills
• Financial management of processes including forward planning of programmes of work, budget accounting and monitoring of expenditure.
• Problem solving, judgement and analytical skills
• Management of staff including performance management