Vacancy has expired
|Job Ref:||R0010920||Employer:||Thales Group||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||London||City:||London||Address:||Post Code:||WC1A||Post Date:||15/10/2016 22:02|
Trainee Radio Performance Technician |
Field based across the London Underground
Transport networks around the world rely on technology and systems expertise from THALES for safety, reliability and optimised capacity. Our main markets in the UK are urban rail, mainline rail and roads, where our solutions include signalling (train control, axle counters, interlocking, train protection and warning systems, services), supervision and control, integrated communications, security and information management.
THALES provides a rolling programme of Performance Validation and Communications Quality (PVCQ) testing to identify faults and other performance issues within the LUL Connect radio system.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Trainee Radio Performance Technician to join our lively team, conducting radio coverage testing across the London Underground Network.
Working alongside an experienced Technician, the successful candidate will be responsible for checking Radio Performance across all stations. This is a physically demanding job, requiring the ability to work over large distances, carrying a laptop and monitoring equipment.
This is an excellent, development opportunity for an individual looking for an opportunity to join an established team within a large organisation. You must have good I.T skills and a willingness to learn.
It is a full time, permanent position, working Monday – Friday.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct radio testing in LUL stations, depots, sidings and other locations
- Analyst test data to identify areas of poor radio coverage
- Maintain and repair test equipment as required
- Maintain accurate test records
- Plan testing according to method statements and site-specific access requirements
- Work in a team to complete the testing with agreed deadlines
- Comply with all THALES and LUL safety requirements
Skills & Attributes
- Must be IT literate with a strong grasp of MS Word, Outlook and Excel
- Able to carry up to 8 – 10 kg of test equipment in a rucksack while walking for up to 5-6 hours per day, including up and down stairs
- Ability to interpret and analyse test data
- Proactive with a commitment to delivering an excellent service
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to write reports
- Valid UK driving license
- Knowledge of radio and telecoms systems
- Ability to interpret maps, plans and radio schematics
- Prior experience working within safety critical communications systems in the rail sector
- Experience working with TETRA radio systems or other cellular / wireless technologies
- LUL Lucas card or other LUL and Network Rail safety certificates (QAF54, List and Escalator General, PTS, Site Person in Charge, Passport Depots)