Why Choose AECOM?
AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees - including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals - serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine's annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World's Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients' projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at NA.
About the Business Line
Our team of environment specialists offers clients expertise in air quality, impact analysis and permitting, environmental health and safety management consulting/due diligence, remediation consulting/engineering and construction/site restoration, specialty and emerging technologies, waste services and water and natural resources.
The Environmental Officer will conduct the following tasks:
- Ensure that environmental issues receive adequate attention in the site induction training
- Prepare and conduct awareness training (e.g. posters, tool box talks, signage)
- Conduct monthly observation & inspections and audit of all work places
- Monitor the Contractor's compliance with the EA, EMP, CEMP and any permits and licences on site
- Conduct monthly observations and environmental audits of all Contractor's and work areas
- Ensure that all environmental monitoring programmes (sampling, measuring, recording etc when specified) are carried out according to protocols and schedules
- Measurement of completed work (e.g. areas topsoiled, re-vegetated, stabilised etc.)
- Maintain site documentation related to environmental management (permits, CEMP, method statements, EA, reports, audits, monitoring results, receipts for waste removal etc.). Documentation to be maintained on the relevant site Document Control System
- Attendance at scheduled SHE meetings and project coordination meetings
- Inspect and report on environmental incidents and check corrective action
- Keep a regular photographic record of all environmental incidents
- Implementation of environmental-related actions arising out of the minutes from scheduled meetings
- Management of complaints register
- Review and Sign off Method Statements prepared by Contractor's
- Audit Environmental Method Statements
- Collate information received, including monitoring results into a monthly report to the Construction Manager showing progress against targets
- The compilation of the Project Environmental Management File
- 5-10 years full-time experience managing environmental components related to the design, planning and implementation of construction projects in South Africa
- Understanding of environmental requirements at the local, provincial and national level
- Understanding of methods to meet environmental requirements
- Ability to assess whether designs and implementations meet best environmental management practices / requirements and/or the environmental plans and or designs of the projects
- Support engineering / design in cost-effect methods of incorporating environmental compliance in design
- Support engineering and construction in implementing construction methods and processes that most effectively (and cost-effectively) meet environmental objectives and requirements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Work in a matrix management environment and obtain cooperation through influence rather than direct reporting relationships
- Strong proponent for environmental compliance
- Collaborative, but uncompromising in environmental compliance matters
B Degree or Masters in Environmental Management, or similar.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.