Our team is responsible for envisioning, building, and deploying the next generation of content consumption products that deliver just the right mix of news, social, video, and email content to users. Our agile teams value autonomy, collaboration, and continuous improvement. We constantly iterate, so we can deliver the best products with a carefully curated feature set that balances a fast time to market with high quality. We need a talented, forward-thinking Scrum Master to help us create and improve the services and integrations that power all of our user experiences.
The individual hired for this position will be responsible for leading the successful delivery of a product or component built by a scrum team. Specifically, this person will work with their Product Owner, Scrum Team Members, and Technical Lead to create a product/component that's recognized as among the best in the industry. This goal will be accomplished through energizing and empowering the teams, aligning business and technical objectives, and creating the right environment for success.
- As a Scrum Master, you are directly responsible for leading and managing the successful delivery of a scrum team
- Agile development has become part of your DNA at this point: you can see how backlog grooming, consistent estimation, and consistently following the same light-weight practices feeds into the creation of high-quality code, predictable roadmaps, and the ability to fail quickly and pivot to creating the right product
- You understand the basics of systems and software architecture, and the business climate so you are able to help orchestrate a unified effort, from the market side, to product and engineering, and out through operations and user support
- You value making decisions based on data, and are always trying to find ways to measure and report on the phases of the development lifecycle where the most opportunity for improvement exists
- You facilitate team decisions around process, deliverables, and interaction, and are assertive in helping hold the team to those commitments
- You're able to easily interact with partners, customers, and employees at all levels of the organization
- You've had experience facilitating complex software projects, with successful launches under your belt.
- Most of all, you want to play a critical role in creating a generation of products to change the way users interact with digital media
- Guiding the team and organization on how to use Agile/Scrum practices and values to delight customers
- Guiding the team on how to get the most of out self organization
- Assessing the Scrum Maturity of the team and organization and coaching the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization
- Removing impediments or guiding the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to remove the impediment
- Building a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis of healing and problem solving
- Facilitating getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work
- Facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution
- Assisting with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information
- Supporting and educating the Product Owner, especially with respect to grooming and maintaining the product backlog
- Providing all support to the team using a servant leadership style whenever possible, and leading by example
Education & Experience
- Basic software product development experience, including understanding basic fundamentals of iterative development and basic fundamentals of software development processes and procedures
- Familiarity with common Agile practices, service-oriented environments, and better development practices
- 3+ years of software development project management experience and at least 1+ years of agile experience
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
- First level Scrum Master certification (CSM, PSM I)
- Experience playing the Scrum Master role for at least one year for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory
- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Strong sense of accountability and exceptional follow-up skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Knowledge of other Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, Crystal, FDD, etc.
- Knowledge and/or experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games