Why Choose AECOM?
AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees - including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals - serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine's annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World's Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients' projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at NA.
About the Business Line
We provide professional services in areas such as aviation, transit, freight rail, highways and bridges, planning, and ports and marine. Our global network of top-tier specialists delivers comprehensive services over the full life cycle of a project to benefit clients in government and private industries.
AECOM are seeking a Design Project Manager to work within our Central area London Highways Alliance Contract office. This role is based in our Southwark Street office in Central London, a five minute walk from both London Blackfriars and Southwark tube station.
CVU is a Joint Venture between Colas, Volker Highways and AECOM, delivering the Central London Highways Alliance Contract for TfL. CVU provide a fully integrated highways service including traditional highways maintenance services, emergency response, inspections, design services and the delivery of capital investment and existing asset renewal schemes.
To be responsible for designs within area of responsibility
To be the client liaison for the design elements of all the schemes within his/her workstream
To be a line manager to senior engineer, engineers and technicians (approximately 5 direct reports)
To assist the Design Manager in quantifying the resource requirements within the team
To work closely with the Design Manager and act as his/her deputy as and when needed
To be a Delegated Engineer within the team
- Approve the production safe and economic scheme designs
- Supervise and support more junior members of the team and assist in their development
- Collaborate with the Commercial team to develop designs that are cost effective to CVU
- Responsible for the project management of all design schemes including financial management
- Fully understand the requirements of the London Permitting Scheme and other specific requirements relating to permitting and permissions for working within London
- Liaise with TfL and other stakeholders in the LoHAC Central Area and develop best practice working
- Be responsible for the Primary and Secondary Performance Indicators application to the design activities in his/her area. Manage and monitor requirements and report monthly. Produce corrective action reports and implement their recommendations where required.
- Implement the CVU QMS with respect to design delivery to ensure that design staff are delivering design work in accordance with current design standards and specification requirements.
- Efficiently delegate delivery responsibilities to staff in line with their competence and to promote their development
- Be a line manager to a combination of senior engineers, engineers, assistant engineers, graduate engineers and technicians
- To take on the role of Delegated Engineer within the team and assist junior staff in gaining a professional qualification
- Maintain, monitor and assess CVU budgets
- Assist in the production of budget forecasts for design requirements as required.
- Provide reports as required by CVU managers and TfL/3rd parties.
- Comply with CVU Health & Safety procedures and requirements at all times
- To act as, and understand the role of, Principal Designer under CDM 2015
- To represent and act on the Design Manager's behalf when necessary
- Promote the delivery of 'customer excellence' as defined by TfL
- Undertake any other duties reasonably requested by the Design Manager in connection with the business, its stakeholders and customers
The following skills are required:
- Highly IT competent
- Experienced user of MS Office, MS Project, AutoCAD
- Engineering design for highways schemes
- Full driving licence
- Traffic engineering design principles
- Experience of user industry standard software
- Thorough knowledge of CDM Regulations
- Proven capability to produce competent, safe buildable designs for highway schemes and supervise others in the production of the same
- Able to assess the feasibility of proposed engineering solutions when necessary data is insufficient
- Able to conduct peer reviews where necessary
- Able to build strong relationships with other CVU teams to ensure that work is undertaken collaboratively
- Time management and prioritisation of work for self and other members of the team against challenging demands of network needs
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal). Able to communicate clearly and appropriately within the design team and internal / external stakeholders
- Adaptable and flexible to cope with the variety of responsibilities involved
- Delegates work to, mentors, trains and supervises less experienced staff to complete assignments
- Strong commercial focus
- Seeks business development opportunities during client meetings
- Experience of highways term maintenance contracts
- Experience of managing projects of highway works
- Production of safe, buildable cost efficient designs for highway schemes
- Management of a team in relation to professional and personal issues
Whilst not essential any of the following skills would be desirable:
- Full driving licence
- Experience of user industry standard software
- Producing Bills of Quantities from detailed design drawings
- Experience of working within a permitting scheme
- Experience of working within a joint venture
- Degree in Civil Engineering or similar discipline.
- Preferably candidates should be Chartered member of a Professional Engineering organisation (Institution of Civil Engineers, Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation or similar)
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.