Job Description |
Data Analyst - People Analytics
In the past ten years, the field of People Analytics has grown from virtual nonexistence to being a top priority for nearly every Chief HR Officer and Business Executive across the country. Every company wants their employees to be inspired and engaged (or at least we do!), and every company wants to increase the performance of their employees. In the past, HR organizations have pursued these goals by emulating success at other companies fueled by anecdotal evidence from those organizations, broad ideas from researchers, and gut feel. While these are still be useful as starting points, what's new is the ability to conduct analysis on our own data and find insights that had previously been buried. While it's helpful to know that an approach worked at XYZ Company, wouldn't it be more valuable to learn if it also applies to us?
As the Data Analyst on our PANDA Team ( P eople A nalytics DA ta), you will join our unique team in building the tools and data sets needed to transform ideas into powerful business insights necessary to answer our most important workforce-related questions.
- Who are our best new hires? What is different about them that we can identify pre-hire? How can we use this information to increase the quality of future hires?
- Who are our most successful sales reps? What are they doing differently? How can we use this information to increase revenue?
- Who are our highest-performing, most engaged teams? What are they doing differently? How can we use this information to improve all teams?
- When organizational changes are made, how do they affect engagement and expected attrition? How can we use this knowledge to enhance the effectiveness of future change?
Key responsibilities include identifying and incorporating new source data into the PANDA data store, conducting various analysis on this data to answer specific and open ended questions and helping to build out the tools that provide appropriate access to this data - based on the PANDA Guiding Principles . You will become an expert in HDS' data structures and will assist the PANDA team in turning our data into compelling stories that help HDS make different, better decisions about its people.
- Internal and external data owners
- HR business partners, SMEs, and analysts
- Users of the reporting tools in PANDA
- IGO/HRIS Team
- Various IT teams (security, IT HR, infrastructure)
Primary Job Functions:
About our company: Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) helps organizations transform raw data into valuable information by making data more accessible and simpler to manage. HDS provides customers innovative cloud or premise-based data storage, processing, protection, and analytics capabilities to meet their growing data and insights needs.
- Write custom SQL to create derived fields as needed for analysis (in SQL Server)
- Expand and support reporting capabilities within existing OLAP tool (Pentaho)
- Collaborate with Data Architect to build new OLAP cubes/functionality
- Train and support end-users in their use of the PANDA reporting tools, while adhering to the PANDA Guiding Principles
- Work directly with business users to understand needs and provide customized data sets and analyses needed to help solve ad-hoc questions
- Utilize creativity and technical skill to continuously improve the quality of workforce data
- Serve as a critical team member on projects to expand the scope of data and functionality within PANDA (i.e. self-service tools)
- Lastly and most importantly: be you. Strive to be your authentic, best self in service of building a caring, high-performing, world-class people analytics team.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, place of origin, ethnic origin, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, genetic information, mental or physical disability, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable national, state, or local law.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Characteristics:
- Independently functional in T-SQL or proven ability to learn quickly, leveraging SQL to obtain, analyze, and transform data quickly and efficiently
- Functional understanding of relational database and data warehouse organizational concepts (i.e. 3rd Normal Form, Subject Orientated and Time Variant Data Warehouse concepts, etc.)
- Proficiency in advanced MS Excel functions: data transformation, aggregate analysis, charts/graphs, etc.
- Enthusiasm for hard work and daily challenges; we are often solving new problems where the data is far from perfect
- Proven ability to support data privacy and confidentiality requirements, as required by the Data Owner
- Being an independent "self-starter" who's able to take charge of the role, scope/commence projects, initiate reviews, and project manage requests with minimal direction
- Preferred Toolset Experience: MS SQL Server, MS SSAS (or other cube-enabled tool - we use Pentaho), Microsoft Excel, R, or any other data and analytics software packages.
Education and Work Experience
- Strongly preferred undergraduate and/or graduate degree in a computer science/data related field
- 2 years of working experience collecting, manipulating, and analyzing data in various enterprise level database / data warehouse technologies