Why Choose AECOM?
AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees - including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals - serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine's annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World's Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients' projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at NA.
About the Business Line
We provide professional services in areas such as aviation, transit, freight rail, highways and bridges, planning, and ports and marine. Our global network of top-tier specialists delivers comprehensive services over the full life cycle of a project to benefit clients in government and private industries.
AECOM are seeking a Principal Designer to work within the Design team at our Central area London Highways Alliance Contract office. This role is based in our Southwark Street office in Central London, a five minute walk from both London Blackfriars and Southwark tube station.
CVU is a Joint Venture between Colas, Volker Highways and AECOM, delivering the Central London Highways Alliance Contract for TfL. CVU provide a fully integrated highways service including traditional highways maintenance services, emergency response, inspections, design services and the delivery of capital investment and existing asset renewal schemes.
The role will get involved in:
- Execution of the Principal Designer role as per the CDM 2015 Regulations and in line with CVU agreed Quality Management System.
- To be the lead Principal Designer within Central LoHAC for CVU, supporting the Design Manager/Design Project Manager for all schemes within his/her area of responsibility.
- To be the client liaison for the Principal Designer role of all the schemes within his/her area
- To work closely with the Design Manager and Design Project Manager
- Advising clients on the CDM 2015 Regulation and their duties.
- Advising clients on competence and resources.
- Liaison during design process to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Preparation and issue of F10 notifications and information packs if requested by Client.
- Assessment of construction phase health and safety plans.
- Monitoring of site progress and attendance meetings as necessary.
- Provision of services in line with agreed 'Schedule of Services' for relevant project or framework Appointments including Health & Safety File.
- A good working knowledge of and ability to use Microsoft Office and associated software sufficient to do the job.
- When required, attend client/supply chain meetings to discuss project progress and/or requirements
- Liaise with TfL and other stakeholders in the LoHAC Central Area and develop best practice working.
- Undertake any other duties reasonably requested by the Design Manager in connection with the business, its stakeholders and customers
- Implement any corrective action report recommendations in relation to Primary and secondary Performance Indicators
- Comply with CVU Health & Safety procedures and requirements at all times
- To understand the responsibilities of the Principal Designer under CDM regulations
- Promote the delivery of 'customer excellence' as defined by TfL
- significant experience and knowledge of construction and design
- Understands the skills to manage and coordinate the preconstruction phase, including any design work carried out after construction
- Experience of managing projects of highway and structural works
- Experience of highways term maintenance contracts
- Able to demonstrate management and co-ordination skills required of a Principal Designer.
- Experience of undertaking design reviews on large and/or complex projects
- Understand what CDM sets out to achieve and safe by design principles
- Highly IT competent
- Experienced user of MS Office, MS Project, AutoCAD
- Engineering design and knowledge of structure schemes
- Able to demonstrate management and coordination skills required of a Principal Designer
- Full driving licence
- Extensive working knowledge and practice of CDM 2015 Regulations
- Experience of user industry standard software
- Traffic & Transportation Design principles
- Ability to influence and engage with stakeholders
- Proven capability to produce competent, safe buildable designs for schemes and supervise others in the production of the same
- Able to assess the feasibility of proposed engineering solutions when necessary data is insufficient
- Able to conduct peer reviews where necessary
- Able to build strong relationships with other CVU teams to ensure that work is undertaken collaboratively
- Time management and prioritisation of work for self and other members of the team against challenging demands of network needs
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal). Able to communicate clearly and appropriately within the design team and internal / external stakeholders
- Adaptable and flexible to cope with the variety of responsibilities involved
- Strong commercial focus
- Confidence to challenge
- Seeks business development opportunities during client meetings
It is also desireable to have the following:
- Member of a Professional Engineering organisation (Institution of Civil Engineers, Institute of Structural Engineers or membership of 'other' appropriate recognised professional organisations within the construction industry) and working towards Chartered status.
- ICE H&S Register, Chartered IOSH or similar
- To hold a valid CSCS Card accredited under the Construction Skills Certification Scheme. Registration is expected to be Platinum or better.
- Full driving licence
- Delegates work to, mentors, trains and supervises less experienced staff to complete assignments
- Strong commercial focus
- Experience of working within a joint venture
- Relevant degree in Civil Engineering or similar discipline and able to demonstrate technical experience.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.