|Job Ref:||38498||Employer:||Goodrich||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Hertfordshire||City:||Hemel Hempstead||Address:||Post Date:||07/10/2016 05:05|
As future technologies evolve towards the More Electric Aircraft, UTAS has a significant need for high performance electric motors and drives across its broad product portfolio. This role is to create a world class capability in the design and manufacture of high performance electric motors and motor drive systems, working closely with other UTAS divisions both as customers and partners, to establish superior, differentiated technologies for future Motor Drive Systems. |
Purpose of the Role:
The Senior Specialist Engineer - Development is the technical development expert for a project team and will carry out development and qualification tasks on mechanical and electronic products predominantly aircraft actuation motors and associated control electronics.
The successful applicant will
• Perform Electrical, Mechanical, EMC development and qualification tests on UTAS MDSC products using high speed drives in conjunction with electrical, electronic and mechanical equipment and analogue and digital instrumentation.
• Be involved in the design process, working with engineers from other disciplines including Design, Stress, Configuration, Materials etc.
• Write Technical documentation, including Test Procedures, Engineering Reports, Equipment Specifications and Production Acceptance Test Specifications.
• Ability to perform 6 sigma assessments for various test processes (advantageous).
• Ability to plan workload (using MS Project).
• Provide Technical Development and Certification advice.
• Be able to conduct and to teach and instruct others to perform design of specific tests for specific customer criteria, design and setup of mechanical and electric systems, fault find test equipment and test rigs, and use and program Data Acquisition systems (Dewetron system in conjunction with Dasy Lab software)
• Be able to Plan, Setup and Conduct Vibration and Shock Tests in accordance with RTCA DO160.
• Design test equipment and fixtures, create marked up drawings of critical dimensions/ functionality for acceptance checks after manufacture.
• • Assist in the setup and conduct of EMC tests in accordance with EMC Specialist Engineer.
This should not be considered an exhaustive list of the duties of the position; it is meant to give a general description of what the main duties are, recognising that the successful job incumbent may be requested to fulfil assignments in other departments within the business, commensurate with the level of this role.
Essential Requirements / Personal Characteristics:
The person appointed will have:
• An electrical biased aerospace degree with some mechanical experience is desirable. Ratio is approximately. 70% electrical / 30% mechanical bias or equivalent. EMC experience is also advantageous.
• Extensive Development / Certification experience of all aspects of Development Engineering including Compliance Verification, Technical Risk, compilation of technical documentation, use of instrumentation
• Good working knowledge of three phase Motors and control electronics. Experience of full aircraft electrical system would be an advantage.
• Good working knowledge of MS Software i.e. Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Project.
• Experienced of Flexpro, DasyLab, LDS Annalise Anywhere and able to teach others.
• Experience of operating Environmental Chambers (Temperature, Humidity, HALT).
• Ability to communicate clearly through written and verbal means to all levels of staff e.g. direct reports, interact with other Engineering teams and the external customer.
• Ability to work under pressure to meet programme deadline and be self-sufficient and largely self-motivated.
• Willing to travel on behalf of the company, sometimes at short notice.
• Willing to work on military projects.
• A current driving licence.
From time to time the successful candidate may be required by the Company to perform other tasks and/or learn new skills which are not included in the above description, but are within the capabilities of the individual and, where necessary, training will be given.