What is the purpose of this role?
To provide support to a Principal Engineer in our Community and Local Development Project Team based in Stafford, working on the Staffordshire County Council strategic highways partnership. The partnership is two years into a ten year contract and provides the opportunity for the right candidate to grow and develop, whilst working on a number of exciting projects.
You will be a key member in the design and delivery of a wide range of Integrated Transport Schemes and be responsible for ensuring Developer schemes proposals (S278, S111 and S7 Agreements) comply with the SCC development design guide.
What makes this role unique?
Working for one of the most innovative partnerships in the country, you will implement the project requirements to fully meet the outcome based specification in accordance with relevant standards. The contract is one of the first of its kind in the market and will initially see the partnership manage and maintain Staffordshire County Councils highway infrastructure from design through to operational delivery. We have an impressive forward order book of work with projects values in the range of £10k to £50m.
What will this role involve?
- Championing community partnership working through the use of innovative co â€"production techniques.
- Undertake the design and supervision of integrated transport projects including but not limited to junction & traffic island design, shared space/urban design, local safety schemes and cycleway design.
- Lead on projects and implement the project requirements to fully meet the outcome based specification in accordance with relevant standards
- Be confident to work under minimum supervision and competent to check the work of others (S111, S278 & S7) in accordance with SCC design guide.
- Undertake the role of Project Manager and /or supervisor on NEC3 type contracts
- Be capable of leading on developer agreements
- Lead key account responsibility for a number of high profile clients
- Provide guidance, advice and mentor graduate engineers.
- Assist with competency appraisal processes subject to suitable level of supervision
- Carry out site visits and surveys, inspections and supervise sub-contractors
- Prepare and check feasibility studies, inspection, assessment and technical reports and other written documents in an appropriate format ensuring compliance with Amey procedures
- Comply with the requirements of the Amey Integrated Management System including Health & Safety, Environmental and all other appropriate regulations
- Prepare/check design approach, calculations, drawings and documents
- Take line management responsibility for the direction and supervision of junior design team members to help ensure timely project delivery is achieved within budget and in accordance with the specification
- Engage in client and third party liaison
- Support the preparation of bids and delivery of services on other contracts, when required
- Support and lead on new Traffic Regulation Orders
- Keep up to date with industry best practice and where appropriate apply best practice within the team environment
- Support with the undertaking of performance appraisals for all reporting staff and support learning and development opportunities
What are we looking for?
We are looking for motivated, innovative civil engineers to cover various disciplines including Highway Design, Drainage and Development Control functions. Key requirements will include:
- Degree qualified in Civil Engineering
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer (CEng / IEng through ICE, CIHT, IHE or IStructE) or approaching CEng or IEng status having completed the necessary training requirements
- Computer literate and conversant with MS Office suite (Project) and relevant engineering software packages such as AutoCAD, Keyline, Key signs, Micro Drainage etc.
- Demonstrable experience in Highway design and project management.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work lead a small team and have a dedicated approach to working within and meeting strict deadlines
- Good communication skills dealing with clients, developers, consultants, elected representatives and the public
- Client focused approach to service delivery
- IOSH managing safety
- Environmental and CDM2015 knowledge and experience