What is the purpose of this role?
To represent ProjectCo in the management of the largest PFI project in Europe for the Highways Sector, working with the largest Authority in the UK, Birmingham City Council.
Key aspects of the role will be to manage the primary deliverables under the Management Service Arrangement (MSA) including management of the services Sub-Contractor; developing and maintaining relationships with all key stakeholders; production of reports to the stakeholders; utilising commercial acumen to enhance the value for ProjectCo; and taking responsibility for key contractual obligations.
A significant part of the role will also be to provide senior support to major projects and bids in the infrastructure sector, which will include taking a lead role on the analysis and negotiation of the contract documents, in particular the commercial and financial aspects of the project, and acting as a key interface with prospective client representing the companies values.
- Reporting directly into the Investment Director
- Head of Investment Management/ Business Director;
- ProjectCo Board (s);
- Local Authority;
- Senior Amey Management;
- Service Sub-Contractor(s);
- Direct report, MSA/ Investments team;
- Bidding and Estimating teams.
What will this role involve?
- Delivery and management of MSA services that meet and exceed customer requirements, including:
- Build relationships with the Client, aiming to enhance value to the project by maintaining satisfaction and commitment;
- Take commercial responsibility for application, interpretation, and where appropriate, support negotiation of the relevant Project documentation;
- Manage the interface with the Independent Certifier and Technical Auditor;
- Preparation and presentation of Board Reports ensuring that ProjectCo are provided appropriate information to manage effectively;
- Assist in the resolution of complex issues by taking one or more aspects of the issue research and develop solutions to fit into an overall strategy;
- Manage subcontractor to drive excellent service delivery through appropriate monitoring controls and review processes;
- Enhance processes and procedures under the MSA to deliver a class leading added value service to our customers.
- Liaise and support the finance team to ensure compliance with finance documents and maintain and execute Project Calendar Deliverables and Key Performance Indicators.
- Lead and effectively project manage ad-hoc projects which involve complex issues which require innovative solutions to deliver a successful outcome.
- Take responsibility for aspects of business development and bidding in the infrastructure sector with particular importance on the development and negotiation of project agreements and subsequent sub-contracts.
- Analysis and negotiation of payment and performance mechanisms with particular reference to specification and the operational delivery models; develop an intimate understanding of the financial models and associated financing agreements;
play an active role in the negotiating team acting as the interface with prospective clients, investors and lenders.
- Play an active part in the wider Investments team in the sharing of knowledge and learning in order to develop value enhancement services
Essential Skills, experience and qualifications
- Experience in the management of complex projects, particularly the commercial aspects of infrastructure projects and contracts.
- Working together â€" The Investment Manager will act professionally and develop effective relationships with key stakeholders to a position of mutual respect.
- Achieving and Improving â€" By utilising effective and efficient project management techniques the Investment Manager will schedule, plan and correct practices and process of the Investment Management team.
- Communicating Effectively â€" The Investment manager will be required to communicate effectively in writing and orally, it will be a pre requisite that reports are accessible and easy to understand for non-professionals.
- Ability to deliver to deadlines and able to use initiative to work independently.
- Degree or Higher Diploma;
- Member of a relevant professional organisation;
- Project Management/ Commercial Management experience;
- Confident and professional in dealing with key internal and external stakeholders;
- Outgoing and accessible team player with strong customer ethos.
- The Investment Manager will be primarily based in Birmingham with a degree of flexibility to travel to attend meetings;
- Will possess a high degree of commercial acumen;
- An understanding of PFI or PPP would be an advantage;
- Knowledge of the Highways sector an advantage.