|Job Ref:||2016-12460||Employer:||Golder Associates||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||Canada||County/State:||Ontario||City:||Whitby||Address:||Post Date:||12/10/2016 05:01|
Waste Management Planning Professional|
Job ID: 2016-12460
Area of Interest: EN - Waste Management Services
Job Type: Full Time
# of Positions: 1
Education (Minimum): Bachelor Degree
Posted Date: 8/30/2016
Experience (Years): 10
SLP: J2WGEOTECH, J2WPROJECTS
Our waste consulting practice in the Northeast Americas region is built around our team of highly qualified waste specialists and associated professionals in Ontario, Quebec and the northeastern United States, supporting waste management projects including waste diversion, waste planning, waste system permitting, compliance, landfill expansions and design, including associated environmental assessments. There are currently over 25 persons in our region who operate in the field of waste management as their main area of practice, including more than 10 senior professionals in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and Ottawa, as well as in Montreal, New York State and Maine. This group is connected to other waste management professionals elsewhere across the North America and internationally through our direct internal network.
Golder Associates is currently seeking an experienced Solid Waste Management Planning Professional for our Northeast Americas operations, focusing initially on Ontario. Our ideal candidate will be a self-starter, with the ability to work regionally and nationally to grow a waste planning practice in support of municipal and private clients in the solid waste, manufacturing, mining and oil and gas industries.
As a waste management planner for Golder you will design, implement, and coordinate comprehensive waste management plans and systems to maximize waste prevention and diversion, and assess alternatives including waste disposal, recycling, export, etc. from a community/social, economic and technical perspective based on current and anticipated technologies and current marketplaces. You will establish waste management goals and objectives, working with public (municipal) and private sector clients to help implement waste management policies, and evaluate the success of management plans. You will prepare waste management strategies and lead teams of consultants, engineers, and processing experts in waste planning projects. Experience in waste audits, waste handling and storage methods and an understanding of waste diversion and disposal policies for both hazardous and non-hazardous waste in relation to current Ontario regulations (and elsewhere) is important. You will assess options for waste management equipment, determine specifications for collecting and processing specific waste and identify opportunities to reduce waste generation.
POSITION LOCATION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The position will be located in one of our Greater Toronto Area (GTA) offices of Mississauga, Whitby or Markham and will require travel in Ontario to other Golder offices and clients. With support from our current waste group leaders and staff, it is expected that you will develop a small team of professionals to work on waste planning and waste permitting projects, which will include existing and new staff in the GTA and Ottawa office locations. Your medium-term goal will be to establish a sustainable waste planning practice in Ontario, which is integrated within our larger waste permitting, compliance and waste system engineering practice.
In this role you will participate in a broad range of business development, proposal, design, costing, and implementation duties. Specific duties are expected to include:
* Participation in the overall Ontario waste practice strategy through development of waste planning projects and clients, engagement in waste related organizations, and responses to requests for proposals and contributions to ongoing projects and proposals led by other members of the waste team;
* Overseeing the efforts of junior and intermediate staff locally (GTA) and in Ottawa on waste planning projects and connected waste permitting work led initially by other waste team members;
* Assisting waste clients in the public and private sectors with waste management programs, capital improvement planning and implementation related to waste management;
* Waste program planning and implementation including preparation of integrated waste management plans, recycling plans, zero waste plans and waste diversion plans;
* Assessment of waste processing and transfer facilities, including material recovery facilities, composting, organics management/diversion and innovative conversion processes in the context of assisting with the development of waste planning options;
* Assessment of opportunities to engage the practice and our client business in aspects of waste management connected to climate change initiatives including greenhouse gas reduction, carbon trading and assessment of carbon impacts through Golder's WRATE model;
* Collections analysis, including programs for municipal solid and organic waste;
* Assisting clients with procurement and review of contractor proposals and bids for waste system related contracts; and,
* A Bachelor's degree in a related field (Environmental Engineering, Planning or Business) is required;
* 10 or more years of experience in the waste planning industry;
* Proven track record of business acumen and business development;
* Proven strong written and verbal communication skills;
* Active participation in the Ontario Waste Management Association (OWMA) and organizations focusing on waste diversion and planning is an asset.
As a global, employee-owned organization with over 50 years of experience, Golder Associates Ltd. is driven by our purpose to engineer earth's development while preserving earth's integrity. From more than 160 offices worldwide, our over 6,500 employees deliver solutions that help our clients achieve their sustainable development goals by providing a wide range of independent consulting, design and construction services in our specialist areas of earth, environment and energy.