|Job Ref:||204430467||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Berkshire||City:||Aldermaston||Address:||Post Code:||RG7||Post Date:||07/10/2016 02:10|
Mathematical support to Engineering Analysis|
Core Role Purpose
Undertake material model development in support of Engineering Analysis (Solid Mechanics). Provide advice on statistical methods to analysts and undertake general analysis tasks.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
The post holder will be required to develop the mathematics required to simulate the observed physical behaviour of non-metallic materials and implement, test and verify the ensuing material model in Sierra.
The post holder is required to give advice and direction to analysts on the correct statistical methods to be employed to undertake uncertainty quantification analyses and material model parameter identification studies using commercially available probabilistic tools.
From time to time the post holder will be expected to undertake general finite element analyses using either Sierra or commercial finite element packages.
- Environment, Safety, Health, Security & Quality
- Consistently demonstrates positive behaviours in relation to environment, safety, health, security and quality in line with the 'Our ESH Culture' framework.
- Ensures understanding of responsibilities and demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with the Company's environment, health, safety, security and quality standards.
Shape the Future
Engineering Analysis use the Sandia National Laboratory's massively parallel Sierra code for full system finite element analyses. It is necessary for us to develop suitable material models to better simulate non-metallic materials.
Build Effective Relationships
- Understands impact of personal style and encourages feedback from others to develop performance.
- Handles difficult people and tense situations with diplomacy and tact.
- Co-operates and builds relationships in the immediate work group.
Energise the Team
- Builds the confidence, pride and self esteem of those around them.
- Fosters good team morale and spirit and motivates others.
- Encourages people to question and challenge practices or procedures that are not fit for purpose.
- Calls people to account when they under-deliver or let standards slip.
- Model Personal Excellence, Integrity & Accountability
Seeks out and acts on feedback.
- Demonstrates personal courage to overcome obstacles.
- Promotes a positive health and safety culture.
- Holds self and others accountable for behaviour and results.
- Evidence required to demonstrate competence
Knowledge, skills & experience
- Ability to develop complex mathematical constructs, ideally those based on plasticity, visco-plasticity and damage mechanics concepts
- Experience of programming complex algorithms in Fortran and/or C++
- An in-depth knowledge of the structure of advanced finite element codes is desirable
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Vast experience in the application and development of advanced finite element or other numerical methods is desirable.
- Qualifications and/or professional memberships or equivalent
- PhD in mathematics/physics/engineering, with a bias towards modelling non-linear phenomena.
- Further requirements
- Willing and able to obtain and maintain the Security Clearance required for the role
- Willing and able to travel within the UK and Overseas when required