|Job Ref:||203912749||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||City:||Greenford||Address:||Post Code:||UB6||Post Date:||10/10/2016 18:47|
I & I Air / Systems Engineer|
Ultra Electronics, Communication & Integrated Systems (Ultra CIS) is one of the larger UK based Ultra businesses and is operationally run as four business units: AEP, Information Assurance, Secure Communications and Surveillance & Security Systems. These business units are underpinned by a shared services structure which incorporates finance, HR, operations and communications. Across Ultra CIS we provide encryption, network protection, automated payments, tactical and commercial communications and telemetry systems, covert and mobile surveillance systems and situational awareness technology to defence, public sector and commercial customers worldwide.
This role is based in Greenford but can also be based in Gloucester.
Integration and installation of cryptographic devices into end-user systems in airframes.
Scope / dimensions:
Generally works on a single project, but self-prioritises tasks to meet project
deadlines; some customer interaction. Works within a small team of domain experts (approx. 10) integrating and installing on air platforms as defined by the customer (currently two in scope but may increase) but maybe required to support the Maritime component of I&I activities. May have limited line management or tasking responsibilities.
- Required to carry out installation of new equipment on platforms by following laid down procedures as stated in the applicable specifications to ensure installations are compliant
- Will be required to carry out design and development tasks that require accuracy, creativity and initiative.
- Use standard air and systems engineering methods and techniques to solve complex problems; be able to select appropriate tools or methods for the task in hand.
- Will be required to have some exposure and liaison to customer or other external stakeholders that are relevant to platforms being fitted with new equipment's.
- Considers costs as a factor in determining the solution; adapts technical designs/proposals accordingly; so that delivery meets cost and schedule constraints.
- Does not require close supervision; can work to written or detailed oral instructions.
- Will seek support and review of own work as needed to avoid unnecessary repetition of activities.
- Produces clear, well-written specifications, reports and proposals.
- Provides guidance to less experienced engineers; reviews work of others.
- Manage security of information as defined in the security manual.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Systems Knowledge - Adequate understanding of all domain specific systems which interact with cryptographic and communications devices.
- Engineering Standards - Proven knowledge of engineering standards
and compliancy with current platform specific Integration and
- Technical Administration - Understanding of relevant air procedures and requirements
- Specialist Administration - Good grasp of relevant discipline processes
and procedures. Is able to contribute or suggests improvements to
- Technical knowledge - Able to conduct testing of ECU devices in a safe
and efficient manner and to provide updates to test procedures and is
competent in the use of basic test equipment.
- Security & Safety - Understanding of access, health and safety
processes to domain specific platforms, sites and systems.
- It is expected that the individual fulfilling this role will have experience in
Military communications and Military cryptographic units.
- Other: Must be able to obtain SC Clearance.
- Perseverance - Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Standing Alone - Will stand up and be counted; doesn't shirk personal responsibility; can be counted on when times are tough; willing to be the only champion for an idea or position; is comfortable working alone on a tough assignment.
- Peer Relationships - Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all; can represent his/her own interests and yet be fair to other groups; can solve problems with peers with a minimum of noise; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; easily gains trust and support of peers; encourages collaboration; can be candid with peers.
- Personal Learning - Picks up on the need to change personal, interpersonal, and managerial behaviour quickly; watches others for their reactions to his/her attempts to influence and perform, and adjusts; seeks feedback; is sensitive to changing personal demands and requirements and changes accordingly.
- Functional / Technical Skills - Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Learning on the Fly - Learns quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learner; open to change; analyses both successes and failures for clues to improvement; experiments and will try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything.
- Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at first answers
- Action Orientated - Enjoys working hard; action orientated and full of energy for things he/she sees as challenging; not afraid of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others
- Customer Focus - Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Communication - Is able to communicate clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across to key stakeholders that have the desired effect