|Job Ref:||204526048||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||City:||Cambridge||Address:||Post Code:||CB1||Post Date:||14/10/2016 03:12|
We're looking for a Principal Tooling Specialist to join a team in Cambridge. If you're experienced in driving tool design, using robust processes resulting in high quality products and would like the challenge of working on a diverse range of medical devices in multidisciplinary teams, then we would like to hear from you! You'll be responsible for liaising between the design team, client and manufacturer to ensure robust manufacturing processes are being adhered to. You will have a thorough and pragmatic approach to troubleshooting issues, and will be able to understand both design and manufacturing requirements and make quick decisions to maintain progress on complex projects.|
What You'll Be Doing:
* You'll take a lead role in both defining and executing the transfer to manufacture of medical developments. You will be able to discuss the design effectively with both technical and non-technical people at clients and manufacturers, and ensure that design intent is maintained, whilst appreciating the subtleties of the manufacturing process.
* You'll take a key role in sales and proposals for the transfer to manufacture work phases. You will quickly gain the respect and trust of clients and manufacturers such that you can represent the company's skills and design decisions with authority.
* Recommending tooling strategies for injection moulded devices throughout the design process, liaising with the internal design teams, and chosen manufacturers as appropriate
* Understanding of tooling processes parameters, and giving recommendations on how these can be used to optimise the component form and dimensions, including identification of appropriate IPC dimensions.
* Aid in design for cost, including cost estimation of moulded components, and advising on design changes to reduce cost and/or increase yield.
* Taking a key role in Design for Manufacture and Design for Assembly, and independently reviewing designs at key stages of the project
* Helping define and review Design Qualification and tool validation activities with respect to relevant standards within the medical field
* Troubleshoot any issues which arise throughout the transfer to manufacture, and work with product and tool designers to solve them efficiently
* Spending time at manufacturing sites, acting as the liaison between the client, the design team and the manufacturer to ensure realisation of products
* Maintaining your manufacturing knowledge, to ensure clients are advised on the most relevant and up to date manufacturing processes, models and methods
* Mentoring those less experienced in manufacturing techniques, and helping them improve their design for manufacture
What We're Looking For:
* Excellent technical background in manufacturing and injection moulding, including appropriate qualifications (e.g. manufacturing engineering degree or equivalent)
* Significant experience of working in the manufacturing environment, preferably at multiple manufacturers
* Experience of Design Qualification and tool validation activities, particularly with respect to the manufacture of medical products
* Excellent understanding of mould tool design and construction
* Ability to guide Design for Manufacture and tooling, and Design for Assembly
* Able to guide tooling design and process, including identification of steel safe zones and tooling construction to mitigate risk to design
* Prepared to go on site and liaise with the toolmaker, including travel abroad
* Good understanding of robust FOIR, validation, capability data analysis and metrology, including Statistical Process Control
* Ideally some commercial experience including project planning and budget management
* Good understanding of appropriate rapid prototyping techniques to simulate the design in its early stages
* Experience of liaising with clients
* Excellent communication skills
* Some experience of moulding capabilities in the Asia would be beneficial