|Job Ref:||204491818||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Construction||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||City:||Birmingham||Address:||Post Code:||B12||Salary:||£26000 - £30000/annum Car, Pension, Health Benefits||Post Date:||10/10/2016 16:34|
Our client is currently looking for an Assistant Quantity Surveyor for their offices in Birmingham. You will be responsible for the smooth transition between the tender negotiation and the project commencement stages.|
Our client is a leading Ground Remediation, Environmental and Waste Management specialist contractor. The company has significantly grown in recent years and the company annual turnover continues to increase. They have an outstanding staff-retention rate as they continually strive to challenge and develop their employees to reach their maximum potential.
The ideal candidate will have a background in Civil Engineering, whether that be as a Quantity Surveyor or an Engineer, and have 2 years' experience in such a position. This role is for someone who is looking to take a step into Commercial Management, with the end goal to eventually become a Commercial Manager.
The long-term purpose of this role is for the successful candidate to eventually develop into a fully fledged Quantity Surveyor. You will be responsible for assisting in the various stages of Civil Engineering contracts involving Earthworks, and Remediation.
You will be required to assist in assessing the feasibility of projects, estimating the cost of earthworks, ground engineering and remediation projects, as well as advising on the tendering methodology.
The candidate will be involved with approximately 50-80 projects per annum, the projects of which will range between £20k and £3 million. You will report to the Senior Quantity Surveyor, Commercial Manager and Director and work closely with the Waste and Business Development Manager and Operations Manager.
The successful candidate will be trained so they have knowledge of contaminated land remediation, waste management, and earthworks. The candidate will be very hands-on with a good understanding of the Civil Engineering sector. The successful candidate will be able to use a wide variety of computer programmes; a high level of numeracy skills; be able to analyse the projects from site investigation and remediation/earthworks strategy reports and identify and prioritise tasks; work closely with colleagues as part of a team; ability to meet demanding deadlines.
Ensure once Project is priced and won the project is packaged up with all the necessary departments input to ensure a strong start to the job from Head office to Operations department. Aspects to co-ordinate successful completion of the job and close out including feedback from client.
- Assisting Project negotiation and Project Launch and handover between Surveying and Operations Departments
- Valuations for project ranging from £20k to £3m.
- Procurement of sub-contractors.
- Extra works and variations to job covered.
- Liaising with clients.
- Interdepartmental co-ordinator to ensure Health and safety, commercial, Technical, procurement, operations and programme and budget are considered and packaged together to ensure a strong project launch.
- Internal meetings set for handover to Operations Team.
- Qualified in Civil Engineering or Quantity Surveying with a Degree/HND/HNC/BTEC
- Experience in remediation, earthworks would be an advantage, but isn't essential as training will be provided.
- Commercially aware with knowledge of the construction process from tender to handover.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and prioritise tasks.
- Working knowledge of Excel & Word essential.
- Proactive, self-motivated and conscientious.
- To have excellent people skills.
- A desire to grow personally and grow with the business.
- Passionate about Civil Engineering and Earthworks.
- Motivated, hardworking and willing to learn and grow as well as progress career with company.
If you feel you have the right skills and experience to suit this role please send your CV and covering letter for the attention of Andrew Halliday