About WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff|
WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services consulting firms, provides services designed to transform the built environment and restore the natural one. The firm's expertise ranges from environmental remediation and urban planning, to engineering iconic buildings and designing sustainable transport networks, to developing the energy sources of the future and enabling new ways of extracting essential resources. Approximately 34,000 employees, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors, program and construction management professionals, as well as various environmental experts, work for this dynamic organization in more than 500 offices across 40 countries worldwide. NA
Here is your opportunity to work on the first ever high-speed rail program in the U.S. while growing your career on a groundbreaking project. The California High-Speed Rail program will connect the mega-regions of the state, contribute to economic development and a cleaner environment, create jobs and preserve agricultural and protected lands. By 2029, the system will run from San Francisco to the Los Angeles basin in under three hours at speeds of more than 200 miles per hour. The system will also extend to Sacramento and San Diego, totaling 800 miles with up to 24 stations.
The California High Speed Rail Authority has awarded WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff the Program Management role within the Rail Delivery Partners (RDP) program delivery team. As a result we have an immediate opportunity for a Senior Safety Principal Technical Specialist. This position reports to the Authority's Safety and Security Risk Manager and is responsible for system safety, and managing processes for ensuring that the project is designed, built, tested and placed into operation in a safe and secure manner. The position will be based in Sacramento but will have Statewide responsibilities and require travel. The principal duties of the Senior Safety Principal Technical Specialist include:
Management of the Authority's safety and security program
• Update and refine the safety and security policy statements for the project; assist in ongoing implementation.
• Update and maintain the safety and security management plan as needed; assist in ongoing implementation.
• Manage the Project's risk-based hazard management program based on FRA, FTA, and international guidance; understand and apply risk acceptance criteria as applicable
• Provide technical leadership and guidance to internal and external safety committees
• Conduct preliminary and site-specific hazard analyses
• Manage the Project's fire and life safety program with outreach to authorities; FRA, the California Office of the State Fire Marshal and local response jurisdictions
• Develop and update the fire, life safety and security program with particular focus on the unique attributes of tunnel structures
• Assist in management and oversight of regulatory approvals for the California High Speed Rail Program with principle responsibility for contact with collaboration with the Federal Railroad Administration Office of Passenger Safety and the California Office of the State Fire Marshal.
• Manage the Project's Safety Certification Program based on Federal DOT guidelines
• Review design and construction submittals for compliance with programmatic technical and certification requirements
• Assist in the development of safety-related contractual requirements for future procurement programs
• Collaborate with operations, engineering, and Project delivery teams in the development and implementation of system safety requirements
• Provide functional oversight and auditing of the safety and security activities of the Project
• Coordinate third-party safety/security requirements on a programmatic level as needed
• Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Transportation, Safety & Environmental sciences or equivalent
• Fifteen years' experience in system safety and security preferably in a transportation related environment
• At least ten years of management experience in a safety-related field preferred
• Certifications: OSHA 502, CPR/First Aid, and safety professional certification (CHST, CSP, WSO, TSSP or ASP) preferred
• Ability to work across disciplines and with a wide variety of people
• Data base management related skills for Safety Management System (SMS)
• Experience with hazard management processes and procedures: Preliminary Hazard Analysis, Threat/Vulnerability Assessments
• Experience in rail transportation safety and security preferred
• Experience working with FRA or FTA safety/security certification programs preferred
• Excellent communications skills (written, verbal, presentations)
• Candidates must be eligible to work in the US immediately
EOE / Veteran / Disability / Gender (M-F) / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation