|Job Ref:||28391BR||Employer:||Black & Veatch||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United States||County/State:||Kansas||City:||Overland Park||Address:||Post Date:||20/10/2016 01:02|
Functions as a technical specialist or in a lead role. Under general direction, develops and applies advanced engineering techniques, concepts and approaches to complex engineering problems. May provide technical guidance over a group or supervise engineering staff on projects of low to medium complexity. May be responsible for developing, validating, and presenting specialist/technical output. |
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Leads a team performing design of high voltage electrical substation projects for the top domestic electric utility companies. Directs production of construction documents for the physical and electrical aspects of substation projects including high voltage physical arrangement, microprocessor based protection and controls systems, ac and dc station service systems and grounding. Must have strong leadership capabilities including the ability to supervise 3 or more direct reports, provide performance evaluation and feedback.
• The candidate will have broad substation design experience in transmission level voltages 69kV and above with a strong understanding of applicable industry codes and standard design practices.
• Provides input to the Office Manager for work assignments with consideration of project needs, productivity and meaningful work assignments.
• Mentors and teaches design engineers and technicians, along with monitoring and championing their career growth.
• A key contributor in the preparation of project proposals, including: engineering and construction cost estimates, the planning of project approach, conceptual design, budgeting and scheduling.
• Promotes a quality focused culture and effectively implements Black & Veatch's thorough quality assurance program.
• Accountable for managing engineering design for multiple substation projects, including engineering schedule and budget performance, quality of engineering solutions and deliverables, and close coordination with procurement and construction professionals.
• Develops strong relationships with and becomes a trusted partner with clients. Responsible for identifying key client interests and drivers on projects.
• Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate those objectives. Works to identify future client needs and how to better position B&V to best serve those needs. Provides support to business development or pursuit activities.
• Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience with EPC projects is desired.
• Experience in projects at 345 kV and above is desired.
• Participation in IEEE or other industry technical committee work.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 8 years related work experience.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications
Displays strengths in the areas of: Written Communications, Drive for Results, Decision Quality, Priority Setting, Planning, Delegation, Directing Others, Conflict Management, Informing, Listening, Dealing with Ambiguity, Customer Focus, and Building Effective Teams.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Disabled/Veterans/Females