|Job Ref:||204579270||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Warwickshire||City:||Solihull||Address:||Post Code:||B91||Post Date:||19/10/2016 09:56|
Permanent Way Senior Engineer|
Arup is a firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services globally.
We are different to most other consultants. As we are employee-owned, we are not bound by shareholder or other external pressures, which allows us to be selective about the work we pursue, seeking out projects that will push, develop and engage our staff, and shape a better world.
We are a key player in the Rail market and are currently engaged in significant projects across the UK and overseas. As part of a network of 14 UK offices and a Rail Business involved in projects such as HS1, HS2, Crossrail, Kings Cross Station and Ipswich Chord, our current projects include a feasibility study for Clapham Junction - one of the busiest transport hubs in Europe, Leicester Station Capacity improvements for Carillion, Water Orton corridor AiP designs for Network Rail's HS2 Enabling Works, the London to West Midlands Hybrid Bill for HS2, Metropolitan Line Extension detailed design for LUL and Vinci, Rail Engineering Technical Adviser roles on High Speed and Freight Lines worldwide, Calder Valley GRIP 5 Signalling and the Ferriby to Gilberdyke Resignalling project.
We are looking for a talented and enthusiastic Permanent Way Senior Engineer to join our lively Rail team in Solihull.
As a Permanent Way Senior Engineer with Arup, You will be part of a team responsible for the successful delivery of our design commissions for major clients including Network Rail, contractors (in a design and build context) and other agencies such as Train Operators, Councils, Passenger Transport Executives and academic institutions.
Day to day the role of a Permanent Way Senior Engineer will include:
Ensuring the successful delivery of technically excellent multidisciplinary rail projects and bids across our UK portfolio, you will be responsible for, and typical activities will include:
* Determining the permanent way design requirements from our client brief and making sound decisions to produce the right design solution.
* Producing required permanent way design to multidisciplinary design teams on large or medium sized projects.
* Checking the permanent way designs and calculations within enhancement and renewal projects.
* Sharing knowledge, best practice and innovation across our business, providing guidance, training and feedback with other related disciplines and skills, locally and across the UK.
* Managing your own personal development utilising our in house and external training opportunities, with the freedom to work independently.
Essential Skills and Knowledge required:
* Experience in the production and checking of permanent way feasibility, scheme and detailed design reports, layouts, schematics and calculations (including switch and crossing renewal and remodelling, gauging and plainline) within multidisciplinary rail projects.
* Competent in the production of drawings using CAD (e.g. Bentley MicroStation) software.
* Experience in specifying and/or undertaking site surveys / site visits and reporting on asset condition.
* Experience in the use of calculation software (e.g. Bentley Power Rail Track and LaserRail ClearRoute).
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
* Experience of Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE) or equivalent.
* Experience of construction methods and installation.
* Assisting bid managers in preparing competitive tender submission / bids.
* Knowledge of non-ballasted and other track systems.
* Knowledge and experience in the design of depots, level crossings, station platforms etc.
* An appropriate HND, university degree or equivalent qualification.
* Chartered or Incorporated member of the ICE / PWI or similar would be an advantage.
What we're looking for in you:
You will have great communication skills and be able to demonstrate highly effective networking skills. You will be passionate & commercially aware with sound technical knowledge.
Rewards & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary at all levels and one of the best benefits package in our sector. Core benefits include Private Medical Insurance, Life Assurance, Accident Assurance and Income Protection cover. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefit Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash or spend on a wide range of Choice benefits to help you with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share Scheme where employees could receive two Profit Share payments per year.
Arup is a place where creativity, innovation and exciting technical challenges are always possible; we are part of a team that enjoys what they do, embracing a unique culture. As a global firm we can develop careers in the UK or abroad through international assignments, and our commitment to training and development is fundamental to ensure we continue to develop our staff and look to the future requirements of our clients.
If you share our passion, why not talk to us about a rewarding career with Arup