|Job Ref:||204579177||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Yorkshire||City:||North Yorkshire||Address:||Post Code:||DL8||Post Date:||19/10/2016 09:56|
Principal Engineer - Overhead Line Equipment (OLE)|
Arup is a firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services globally.
We are different to most other consultants. As we are employee-owned, we are not bound by shareholder or other external pressures, which allows us to be selective about the work we pursue, seeking out projects that will push, develop and engage our staff, and shape a better world.
We are a key player in the Rail market and are currently engaged in significant projects across the UK and overseas. As part of a network of 14 UK offices and a Rail Business involved in projects such as HS1, HS2, Crossrail, Kings Cross Station and Ipswich Chord, our current projects include a feasibility study for Clapham Junction - one of the busiest transport hubs in Europe, Leicester Station Capacity improvements for Carillion, Water Orton corridor AiP designs for Network Rail's HS2 Enabling Works, the London to West Midlands Hybrid Bill for HS2, Metropolitan Line Extension detailed design for LUL and Vinci, Rail Engineering Technical Adviser roles on High Speed and Freight Lines worldwide, Calder Valley GRIP 5 Signalling and the Ferriby to Gilberdyke Resignalling project.
We currently have an opportunity for a talented and enthusiastic OLE Principal Engineer to join our Rail business based at our York site.
As a OLE Principal Engineer with Arup, You will be part of a team responsible for the successful delivery of our design commissions for major clients including Network Rail, contractors (in a design and build context) and other agencies such as Train Operators, Councils, Passenger Transport Executives and academic institutions.
Day to day the role of an OLE Principal Engineer will include:
* Determining the OLE design requirements from our client brief and be able to make sound decisions and propose the right design solution.
* Lead and produce the required OLE design to multidisciplinary design teams on large or medium sized projects.
* Checking the OLE designs and calculations within implementation and renewal projects.
* Sharing knowledge, best practice and innovation across our business, providing guidance, training and feedback with other related disciplines and skills, locally and across the UK
You will have experience in leading and the production and checking and Approval of Overhead Line Equipment Feasibility, Scheme and Detailed Design (including OLE layout plans,, cross-sections, sectioning diagrams, bills of quanitity, Bonding plans within multidisciplinary rail projects
Additional we are looking for:
* An appropriate HND, university degree or equivalent qualification
* Member of the IMechE, IET or similar and an Incorporated Engineer
* Competent in the role of Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE) or equivalent
* Experience in leading the undertaking of site surveys / site visits and reporting on asset condition
* Experience of construction methods and installation
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
* Competent in the use of design software (e.g. PROL and ELFF)
* Chartered member of the IMechE, IET or similar would be an advantage
* Leading the preparation of competitive tender submission / bids
* Knowledge of Third Rail and other railway electrification systems
* Knowledge and experience in Traction Supply and Distribution
* Understanding of structural and geotechnical principles associated with OLE equipment design
What we're looking for in you:
You will be passionate & commercially aware with a sound technical knowledge enabling you to be an integral part of our Rail team. You will have great communication skills and be able to demonstrate highly effective networking skills.
Rewards & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary at all levels and one of the best benefits package in our sector. Core benefits include Private Medical Insurance, Life Assurance, Accident Assurance and Income Protection cover. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefit Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash or spend on a wide range of Choice benefits to help you with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share Scheme where employees could receive two Profit Share payments per year.
Arup is a place where creativity, innovation and exciting technical challenges are always possible; we are part of a team that enjoys what they do, embracing a unique culture. As a global firm we can develop careers in the UK or abroad through international assignments, and our commitment to training and development is fundamental to ensure we continue to develop our staff and look to the future requirements of our clients.
If you share our passion, why not talk to us about a rewarding career with Arup